"Grooming" solution with Restrospect Backup Pro 6.5.350

Hi all,

I have read in a previous message about a "grooming" option available, probably for another version of Retrospect Backup (not Pro 6.5.350). It is said that this option allows to keep in a backup sets the information for the past x backups. That sounds cool. However, it's not available to me. And since our backsets get full, I need to think about something else.

As somebody else mentionned, my options are to add a new backup set, or recycle the backup set. I don't really like the recycle thing though, since I'm loosing all the history of recent changes. Say that the day after the recycle backup I realize I've screwed up a file, there's no way for me then to go back "in time" to get it before it was messed up.

So, what can be done, then?

Can a set two destination back up set and ask Retrospect Backup to change from one backup set to the other every ten days? (don't think so)

Could I set up a transfer script after the incremental backup script, and only select the files and folders backed up during the last 10 days, and then somehow bring that backup set as the next one being used by my backup script? Does transfer script keeps the informations about which files were added when, or will it simply copy all the files as a single "snapshot"?

I find it a pain to not have that grooming option... Thought it would be pretty basic... Anyway, I'll continue to read about all this, but since I'm pretty sure others have been through this already, I'd appreciate to have your thoughts for a solution...

Many thanks in advance,

Fred

here as DENIS CIMAF user

Hi

Retrospect 6.5 does not support grooming. You will need to upgrade to 7.0 for that.

The rotation between two sets you mentioned is fine though. I suggest switching every week because it makes scheduling easier.

To do it Create a script and add two backup sets as destinations. Create two schedules. Set the weeks box to "2" which means every other week. On one of the schedules set the start date to be a week from now. Make sure to select a different backup set in each schedule.

Once you are done look at the activity monitor pending tab. It will show the rotation.

Thanks

Nate

Thanks for your suggestion Natew grin.gif. I think I'll go with that two backup set rotation first. I'm glad it'll do the trick (although there will still be some waste of space if each backup set keeps an first backup of all the files).

And later on, we'll probably upgrade to 7 if storage becomes an issue (although it might then be cheaper to add another disc)

Again, thanks a lot. Very appreciated,

Fred

here as DENIS CIMAF user

Archived