Retrospect 5.6 backup unsuccessful

daveferris

First attempt at normal backup required 4-700MB CD-RW discs. Summary showed 600+ mb on first 3 and 200+ on last but I found that all 4 were empty when I opened them. (A 12mb snapshot was stored.) There were error messages along the way but I didn`t record them.

Today I tried a Recycle backup using the same discs from above. After a short period showing the erasing icon in operation, the first disc was ejected with note "1-Backup Set A - error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc." Started another try at Recycle backup using another disc like first one. During short erasing procedure, disc was ejected and I got the message "error -100 (drive rejected command)

The discs above are new, Memorex. My source and destination drives are both Plexwriter 16/10/40A and I have used them successfully many times burning audio CS`s. What have I done wrong or failed to do? Thanks much.......Dave Ferris

Backup discs created by Retrospect are accessible only by Retrospect; they are not visible in Windows Explorer and do not mount on the Desktop of a Mac. You cannot see the data on the CD without using Retrospect. NOTE: You cannot use CD-ROM drives to restore from CD-R backup sets. Retrospect requires that you use a supported CD-R or CD-RW drive for restoring files from CD-R backup sets.

www.dantz.com/knowledgebase has troubleshooting steps for both error 100 and error 206. The first step is to try a different brand of media.

Thanks for response......I am using CD-RW drives, so that`s not a factor. I had no idea that Retrospect backup info would be invisible in Windows, even to the extent that the size of 600+ mb of backup is reported by Windows as zero. As to the error msgs, I did go to the knowledge base and was as a result able to do a backup. Sadly, that produced another problem whose solution I hope will be obvious to the knowledgeable: I tried a test restore, selecting three small text files from the backed-up drive and consigning them to a small hard drive other than that drive. In the process, Retrospect asked me to insert disk 2 of the 3 that constituted the backup. I did this and shortly found out that Retrospect had erased the disc. Retrospect had installed a folder entitled Set A on my destination drive but there were no files listed--probably because Retrospect had already erased the disc. Any idea what I did wrong? Thanks in advance...Dave Ferris

Archived