Handling Off-line Volumes or Sub-Volumes

I have Proactive Backup running, and one of the sub-volumes to be backed up is a directory on a removable Firewire Hard Drive on a Mac OS X machine (it's an iPod I use for all my files that I need to be able to move from machine to machine with).

Proactive is very good at dealing with CLIENTS that are off-line - it just waits until next time... But every time it tries to back up this client when the iPod is not attached, it causes an error (execution incomplete, API error -1010)

I would like to know if there is a way around this (other than setting the client desktop as the backup source and setting up a million filters).

It would be nice if:

1) Retrospect was more graceful about handling off-line volumes (it's just not available, there is no hardware failure that should generate a low level alert)

2) The customisation could allow the user to specify that "off-line volumes do not result in incomplete execution alerts"

Or am I expecting too much...

If I wanted the whole iPod backed up this would be easy, but I only want the data directories backed up, not all the music files etc. etc.

Hi

This is an unusual error. I have never seen it before.

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the offline volume is an ipod and not a standard disk.

Do you still get an error if you select the entire ipod as the source?

Thanks

Nate

I think you are correct - it's something about iPods!

The issue is:

Retrospect Multi Server 7.0 NFR running on WIn 2K Server, Client 6.0.110 running on Mac OS X Tiger.

Trying to backup FireWire connected 6G iPod mini (formatted as a FAT32 PC drive) on Mac via Client.

Set up client, allow firewire connected iPod to be a source volume.

Set up script, using iPod as source

Run script - everything works OK.

Disconnect iPod

Run script - Retrospect decides to use the startup volume as a source instead of the iPod!

Reconnect iPod

Run script - Retrospect STILL uses the startup volume as the source!

Check Client Properties in Retrospect Server - a DUPLICATE startup volume entry now appears in the Remembered Volumes list

Check the source selection list - duplicate entry there too!

Check Script - now shows startup volume as the source, not the iPod.

When I repeated the steps above, ANOTHER DUPLICATE of the startup volume appeared in the Remembered Volumes list and the Source Selection list!

Doing the sequence above with the SAME iPod connected via a USB cable does exactly the same thing.

Doing the sequence above with a Flash drive (formatted as a FAT32 PC Drive) instead of an iPod works fine (file/directory not found error when disconnected, works fine when connected)

So, why is an iPod different?

ALSO

A bit more info:

If I disconnect the iPod, and then reconnect it BEFORE running the script again, the script works fine, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with some internal ID on the iPod changing each time it is disconnected and reconnected...

I have even disconnected the iPod from a USB based backup, then reconnected with FireWire before running the backup, and it works...

So there only seems to be a problem if an iPod (mini) is specified as a source, and it is unavailable when the script is run.

When that happens, for some reason the Retrospect Client decides to use the startup volume as the source instead of just reporting the iPod as unavailable, like it does for a USB stick, AND adds another startup volume to the list of volumes available on the client.

Very curious, but should be easy for an engineer to reproduce and fix...

BTW - the behaviour is the same for manual scripts and proactive scripts.

BTW 2 - the only way to clear the excess startup volumes from the Client Properties list seems to be to forget the client and reattach the client...

Hi

Something about ipods or something about your particular ipod. It is hard to say which at this point.

Personally, I would pull all the data off the ipod and reformat the disk. Given the other errors you reported there may simply be a disk structure problem to blame.

Thanks

Nate

When I reformat the iPod mini as a HFS Journaled drive it works perfectly with Retrospect, and when I reformat it again as a FAT32 drive it causes the same problem again, so the problem is now very clear...

iPod mini

Formatted as FAT32 (there is only one way to do this, and that is by using the iPod install CD on Windows or the iPod Updater for Windows downloaded from the net)

Connect to Mac OS X Client machine using EITHER FireWire or USB cable.

Select this device as the source volume using pretty much ANY technique you care to use in Retrospect.

Back it up

Disconnect it

If you then try to back that volume up whilst it is disconnected, Retrospect somehow gets confused, adds a new volume to the Client database entry for that client that is the system startup volume of the client and replaces all entries for the iPod volume in any scripts that use it with the new entry that refers to the system startup volume of the client.

I'm happy to try more suggestions, but I am pretty confident the fault lies in some interaction between the Retrospect Client and the Mac OS when dealing with FAT32 formatted iPods, and it won't be fixed by anything I can do...

Unfortunately I must have the iPod formatted as FAT32 because I use it on as many PC's as I do Macs. A temporary workaround for me will be to back it up from my Windows XP machine, but that is not ideal really...

Archived