Backup on PC, restore on Mac?

Please help...

I have used the evaluation version of Retrospect 6 to backup all my PC data before migrating to a Mac. I selected a file backup, so multiple files with the extenstion .rdb were created, each being 600MB. I then manually copied the files onto DVDs. The reason I didn't perform a CD/DVD backup was that I didn't know if I had enough disks (a future feature perhaps?).

Anyway, I've just copied all these files to my Mac, and cannot fathom how to restore my data. I've downloaded the Mac eval of Retrospect, and I'm trying to rebuild the catalog file from the media (I forgot to copy the file from the PC). For some reason it's just not letting me do this, and the file open dialog is prompting for a catalog file (which seems odd as I'm trying to rebuild one, ie. I don't have one!).

I was assuming the Mac and PC versions were compatible... have I made the wrong assumption?

Thanks

John Clare

Hi

Backups made with Retrospect for Windows need to be restored using Retrospect for Windows.

Probably the easiest thing to do is restore the files on a PC, Copy them to an external hard disk or DVD or something and then just copy the files to your new mac from there.

You could also network your old PC and new mac and restore the files directly to your Mac using Retrospect client.

Thanks

Nate

Archived