Restored File Not There

I restored a file with Retrospect 5 mac and it said execution completed but when I went to find the restored file it had the file hierarchy in the finder where I said to restore the file to, but in the last directory, where the file should be, there is no file there? Thanks for any help.

Jeff

The default restore type does not put the file back where it was when you backed it up. Retrospect creates a new folder with the name of your backup set at the location you specify, and the restored file is in that folder. You can drag the file to its correct location at that point.

If you'd like to restore the file to the oroginal location, the User's Guide has step-by-step instructions.

It is NOT in the folder I SPECIFIED. I specified a folder called RESTORED FILES. Retrospect created the folder within that called BACKUP SET A and within that a path of folder leading to the file :

restored files/backup set a/users/jsf/library/THE RESTORED FILE SHOULD BE HERE BUT IT IS NOT!

No errors. Don't know if it was invisible. In the file listing within restrospect it does have a .(period) before the file name…

.StickiesDatabase

I did restore something else OK, but I had some iTunes music files for which the same thing happened.

In reply to:

I specified a folder called RESTORED FILES. Retrospect created the folder within that called BACKUP SET A and within that a path of folder leading to the file :

restored files/backup set a/users/jsf/library/THE RESTORED FILE SHOULD BE HERE BUT IT IS NOT!

Have you looked in the Terminal to see if it's really there, just invisible from the Finder?

Drag and drop your library/ folder into an open Terminal window, then type ll (or ls -l) to view a list of all the files.

Sometimes the Finder takes a while to catch up with reality.

Are you running Mac OS X?

Files and folders with names beginning with a period (".") are not visible from the Finder.

I had a quick look on Apple's support pages and found something to get you started:

Article ID: 106589

Mac OS X: Folders With Names That Begin With a Dot Disappear From Finder

Archived