Retrospect 5.x doesn't seem to filter cache files

Running Retro Server 5.0.25 on a Mac OS 9 G3 to a Lacie DDS4 drive.

The overnight backup script I've written is supposed to grab "All Files Except Cache" files. I had assumed that this means it would not grab cache files from Internet Exploder and yet when I watch the file names stream by, it seems to be grabbing everything including all the cache files (including the temp files for the MP3s, gifs, .jpgs, everything that's new in the cache directory).

As you can imagine, this is increasing the volume size being backed up rather dramatically.

Am I missing something in the definition of "Cache" files that would allow this behaviour? Is there some other option I should be using? What, precisely, is the "All Files Except Cache" supposed to grab? Do I have to define cache files somewhere? Is this feature simply broken?

You can see exactly what Retrospect is and isn't including when you use that selector as follows:

From the Special tab, click Selectors. Double-click the All Files Except Cache Files selector, and then choose Check Selector from the Selector menu. Select your volume and see if the cache files that you're referring to are highlighted or not.

If they are highlighted, post the exact path and I'll forward that to our developers. You can create your own custom selector that will exclude any other files that you don't want. Remember to use the Check Selector feature to make sure you're backing up what you want though!

Checked it. On Windows boxen, it's grabbing the following directories:

\Documents and Settings\userid\Cookies\

\Documents and Settings\userid\Local Settings\Temp

\Documents and Settings\userid\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files (which includes IE5 content)

On Macintosh 9.x clients in single user mode, it's grabbing the following folders:

Documents:Mozilla:Profiles:default:Cache (a few thousand useless files here)

On Mac 9.x in multiple user mode, it's grabbing the folders:

Users:userid:Preferences:Explorer:Temporary Files:

Users:userid:Preferences:Netscape Users:userid:Cache

Looks like there's no anticipating Mozilla, while Opera is supported.

Thanks for the post. I've forwarded this to our developers.

There is a condition built in that would exclude the following though:

Users:userid:Preferences:Netscape Users:userid:Cache

Does a "Check Selector" include this for you?

Archived