Live backup just means that Retrospect is able to access all system files, even if they are open (as they are when your computer is running). Although you can't copy the files in the Finder, Retrospect is still able to access them for backup.

"Live restore" is the term given to the method of OS X restores. This just means that you reinstall a basic system and then do the restore over the top of that system. Again, even though you wouldn't normally be able to delete or overwrite those "live" (open) system files, Retrospect can do so to retstore your computer.

Just be darn careful when doing a live restore that nothing interrupts the restore or you're toast. I did this a few days ago and the DVD-RAM problems that have cropped up with R5 resulted in a failure to mount the second disc in the restore. As a result, the restore had to be aborted and the server rebooted so that Retrospect could see the DVD-RAM media again.

However, I could not resume the restore because the X client was reserved, even though I had done a graceful termination of the restore. That problem seems to be pretty consistent.

So I rebooted the X client (didn't know about the command-off trick to kill pitond -- it hangs if I just click off), but the restore had already deleted a whole whack of files and the client would no longer boot. So, back to square one with a reinstall of the OS and another restore.

I dug up an old 3 GB external SCSI disk and installed X there, booted from it and then restored to the real disk. That way, if anything interrupted it again, I wouldn't have to reinstall the OS, which Apple has made as difficult as possible with all the incremental updates we need to do.

Archived