Trouble Communicating Error

Operating a certance external drive and imation travan tapes i am getting the Trouble Communicating error message. Trouble is, it is intermitent on tapes. I backed up a tape yesterday morning, used the same tape to test it later that day and then the error message came up. I have cleaned the heads, they were very dirty but are not now.

This is happening on more than one tape. It started all of a sudden. and has affected all tapes at some stage, as i said some work when they want to.

in the words of penelope pitstop HEYELP

Mark

Yeah I have this problem too: Error 102 Trouble Communicating.

Sony AIT USB drive. Retrospect Multiserver 6.5. Open File Agent. Tried it in a P4 W2K3 server with 1.25GB ram, then a W2K3 P4 Xeon server with 2.5GB ram

I have replaced all the tapes

I have replaced the USB cable

I have tried it via a USB PCI card

The tape drive failed 3 weeks ago and I got a new one from Sony

Still happening.

I downloaded an eval of Veritas and had no problems.

I am backing up one local server and two remote servers. On the two remotes, I am backing up just a single NTBackup created backup file.

Remotes linked on 1000meg switched ethernet

If anybody can shed any light on this I will be a happy man.

Jonathan

Hi

Try installing ASPI using the ASPIINST.EXE file located in the Retrospect program folder. You will need to reboot.

Afterward the configure->devices->environment screen will say "devices visible using ASPI". To change back to NT passthrough type CTRL + ALT + P + P at any screen in Retrospect and check the box that says "Use NT SCSI passthrough" under the execution heading.

Thanks

Nate

Archived