Hard Drive(s) Backup

pabrown522

I have a usb 2.0 buslink hard drive which is F drive. I would like to know how do I backup my physical C and D as source hard drives to the destination F drive? I was able to back up D drive to the F drive successfully. But I am having difficulty trying to figure out how to backup multiple hard drives (C and D) to the F drive. The catalog for the D drive shows as a file on F drive. When I attempt setup a backup file for C drive to the destination F drive, the properties of the catalog files show that this file will be located on the C drive as the backup destination. When I look at the actual location of where the properties say that the backup file is located, I see the file is on the C drive in my program directory. I need to backup both drives to the same destination drive. Can this be done?

A file backup set is a single file which contains all the files you have backed up, and that can be stored on any random access device.

To do a backup to a file backup set, choose "Create New" from within Configure>Backup Sets. From within the backup set creation window, set the "Storage Type" to "File". Name the backup set, click New, and save it on your destination hard drive. When doing your immediate or scheduled backup, select the newly created backup set as your destination.

File backup sets are limited to the maximum file size allowed by the file system used to format the disk:

o FAT: 2 GB

o FAT32: 4 GB

o NTFS: 1 TB

Thank you so much for your prompt and helpful responses to my several prior questions.

I have managed to create some backup sets for both my C and D drives and have backed them up to my F drive including using the some default selectors; so far so good. I Need to know about updating backup file sets. Please explain to me what happens to the files that remain in the backup set since they cannot be deleted and if a restore had to be done? There is no sychronize function available to ensure that the the source and the file backups are the same? Since incremental backups do not delete files from the backup set, it is on my mind about what happens to the deleted files, in the backup set, if I need to restore either one of my disk entirely or some folders and files? The files, in the backup sets, that I am speaking of would be ones that I have deleted from my C or D drive and I do not want them back on there if a restore is needed. What do you suggest that I can do so that I can experience reliable restores. Bye the way, by choice, I do not have a CDRW and will not be able to create cdrom disk backup sets to use for the rotation CD backup method.

Thanks.

Every time you make a backup with Retrospect we create a Snapshot. This snapshot has a list of where and what the current files are at the time of backup. When you do a restore, you choose which snapshot you wish to restore from. This will tell you what was on the drive at the time of backup and place those files back on the drive. That way when you restore - you won't restore files that you orginally deleted because they really don't show up in your snapshot (because they were not on your computer at the time of backup).

Archived