Help with Network Strategy 4 advice needed

I've followed the example given in the Retrospect Manual under the heading Network Strategy 4 - Scheduled Scrpt with Rotating Daily Backup Sets, which states:

Make a script with five backup set destinations, named Monday through Friday. Add five day of week schedulers to back up to each respective backup set. Add five repeating interval schedulers to stagger recycle backups every four weeks to each respective backup set, starting with Monday the first week, Tuesday the second week, and so on. But for Friday, make the repeating interval the last Friday of the month, doing a new media backup to the Friday backup set. (Take the old backup set media off site for safe keeping.)

However, the five backup set destinations of my backups are set to "file" and not to "Tape" as in their example. This is fine for all but the Friday recycle new media backup which I would like to be to "CD-R" media which I could then take off site. My understanding is that as it stands now my Friday recycle new media backup (to file) will simply cause Retrospect to create a new file in the same folder. Given that the normal weekly Friday backup should be to file is there a way for me to have the Friday recycle backup be to CD-R ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

You are correct in your assumptions.

You will need to set up a seperate backup to CD-R that runs independently of your file backup sets. Personally I would let the Friday Recycle backup of the file backup set run as is and just add a new script for the CD-R backup.

Thanks

nate

Archived