Can't Create Disaster Recovery

RobZee

I am a new user of Retrospect Express bundled with my WD External drive - ver. 6.5.342. My computer runs XP Home SP-2.

I have made a full backup, but have not been able to complete a Disaster Recovery disk.

I repeatedly get the following error meassages.

File "SETUPLDR.BIN": can't read, error -1001 (unknown Windows OS error)

Trouble writing files, error -1001 (unknown Windows OS error)

I have researched this on the Dantz site, Google and WD site and have not come up with anything! Any help would be welcomed, since this feature is very important to me.

I have tried to create it on my internal hard drive and also burn a cd, but same results - failure!

Rob

I too have never been able to create a Disaster Recovery CD using Dantz Retrospect Express 6.0.222. However I can use my Dell Reinstallation CD, which is bootable, to workaround this problem. I delete all partitions, reformat my HD, reinstall WinXP and access my Retrospect Backup on an external USB2 HD.

If having a bootable disaster recovery CD is important to you, consider getting Acronis True Image 8.0. This software was rated tops by Smart Computing:

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2005/s1606/04s06/04s06.asp&articleid=26647&guid=D93AEF3FB09E43B0BDBE632977DB482F

Hello RobZee-If you are successful in creating a disaster recovery disc, you are still out of luck because it is built with your original XP program. If you have XP SP2 installed, you cannot install previous releases. I was successful in creating a DRD but further investigation led me to the conclusion that it was an exercise in futility. Dantz needs to provide a method for including SP2 on the DRD. PC world released a procedure for slipstreaming but it is very complicated. I sent a suggestion to Dantz to provide a method for including SP2 on the DRD.

• 3 weeks later...

DLD,

I too have a Dell restore CD, but what version is your service pack? The reason I ask is that as Carl points out in the article two posts down, if you have Service Pack 2, you have to slipstream it into the older service packs. I have a Dell restore CD with Service Pack 1 and upgraded to Service Pack 2. When I tried the slipstream extract, it gave me an error something like cannot extract to a version of Windows that already has been modified (by Dell). I wondered if you were able to install sp1 from the restore cd and then still write over it with the image that retrospect express created that has sp2?

Quote:

DLD,

I too have a Dell restore CD, but what version is your service pack? The reason I ask is that as Carl points out in the article two posts down, if you have Service Pack 2, you have to slipstream it into the older service packs. I have a Dell restore CD with Service Pack 1 and upgraded to Service Pack 2. When I tried the slipstream extract, it gave me an error something like cannot extract to a version of Windows that already has been modified (by Dell). I wondered if you were able to install sp1 from the restore cd and then still write over it with the image that retrospect express created that has sp2?

People have been successful in slipstreaming a Dell Reinstallation CD using this method:

http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html

Slipstreaming SP2 into the Reinstallation CD is just a convenience. Your Reinstallation CD will work as is. Once you have reinstalled WinXP, have the SP2 disk provided by Microsoft handy, and install SP2 from disk as soon as possible, install Retrospect Express, then access your backup. Note that you cannot easily download SP2 because at that point you probably are not connected to the Internet. I've gone through this many times.

You can avoid any kind of slipstreaming if you can borrow a Dell Reinstallation CD that includes SP2 and make a copy of it. That's what I did.

Thanks for your quick response. I tried autostreamer with my dell restore disk and it doesn't recognize the operating system or the service pack. I think I would just install the nic driver after I installed the restore cd, upgrade to sp2 then restore. Do you know if I can restore Windows over Windows, when it is using that drive already? For example will the registry be over written? The reason I ask, is that if it doesn't, I may just continue to use casper xp to copy the drive. The only problem with that is that you have to physically take the drive out of the external case and replace it with the damaged one, voiding the warranty.

Quote:

Do you know if I can restore Windows over Windows, when it is using that drive already?

I don't know what you mean by this. Presumably you have your Retrospect Backup on an external HD, or else on a separate HD on your computer. Here are the steps you should follow:

1. Boot your system. At the Dell logo, tap F2. Go to your BIOS and change the boot order to have CD-ROM or some other optical drive at the head of the list.

2. Put your Dell Reinstallation Disk in your optical drive. Boot your system again. At the Dell logo, tap F12.

3. Choose to delete all existing partitions, including a small FAT partition.

4. Reformat your HD.

5. Re-install WinXP, and a minimum number of drivers (probably your video driver). You have a disk for the drivers.

6. Install SP2, Maxtor and Retrospect Express, although I suspect Maxtor isn't really necessary. It only activates the OneTouch button, which your don't really need.

7. Access your Backup, Reconstruct your catalogue, Restore your System.

GOOD LUCK

Yes, I haven't done this, but this seems like the logical steps. thank you again

What I was wondering is if the newly installed O/S on the C: will then be replaced by the full backup on the external usb drive (D:) including the registry and all the windows files.

Yes. WinXP that you have installed using the Dell Reinstallation disk is used only to receive the Retrospect Express sofware and to access your Retrospect Backup. It is then wiped out by the Retrospect Restore. You end up with the operating system that existed on your computer at the time of the Backup, including registry settings, all your personal files including all email messages deleted and sent, etc. etc.

Archived