selector (for tape) skips Backup set folder (on disk)

OK, I am hoping someone understands this smile.gif

I have Retrospect 7.0 Single Server on Windows 2000 server.

I have a Proactive script that backs up random employees whenever they are available during the day (to disk). That works fine. The files are deposited to a disk backup set using "E:\Proactive_Backups". Retrospect created a "Retrospect" subfolder in there and some other stuff - but it's all there (minus the catalog file).

Late at night, I set up a scheduled backup to backup that entire E drive to tape (with selector limitations). It ran successfully last night... but it completely skipped "E:\Proactive_Backups". I checked the selector over and over and when i run the check, it always skips it. Yes, i pared down the selector to like "INCLUDE EVERYTHING" and it still skips that folder. Why? Does the Retrospect program have a lock on it? Is it unable to do so?

I looked at doing a file backup - but it warns me about 2GB limitations - and i currently have about 20 GB to backup in that folder. Has anyone found a method to get around this? I can't run the backup during the day, Proactive backups to disk work well for me. I just want to get those to the tape at night with the rest of the stuff on that drive. I must be missing something obvious. I hope I don't have to rig up some script to move files out of there.. or use friggin NTBackup to make a file..

Ideas?

Thanks!

jim

Hi

By default folders that contain disk backup set data are excluded from backup. This is by design. If you actually want to back up your backed up data you can define the folder as a subvolume.

In general backing up compressed backup files isn't terribly efficient. Imagine if you had to do a restore. You would first have to restore all 20 GB of the disk backup data and then run another restore to get the files you want.

I suggest using the backup set transfer or snapshot transfer feature instead. It will copy the data from your disk backup set to a tape backup set so that you can restore directly from tape later.

Thanks

Nate

Archived