Override Client and Tape Errors

Hi,

Our server is in a locked, noisy closet -- not exactly a nice place to hang out. So, in the interest of making backups as simple and pleasant as possible, I'm looking for ways to override some of the messages that appear during a backup that cause us to hang out in the server closet unnecessarily.

1) When I select the "clients" container and run an immediate backup, Retrospect (5.6 on Windows 2K Server) stops on every client that happens to be turned off with a -530 error... This is an annoying and pointless message for us as machines on our network are frequently turned off to conserve power and missing a backup is not a problem. Is there a simple "Ignore missing clients" option somewhere?

2) When recycling backup sets we are prompted with a data erasure warning every time we load a tape. This means waiting around in the closet for 1-3 minutes every time a tape is loaded so that we can click on "proceed" and "ok" to overwrite. Is there a way to automatically overwrite inserted tapes that do not belong to the current backup session?

Thanks!

-Donald Newlands

• 4 weeks later...

1) Backup Server script may be your way to go. What happens in a Backup Server script is if the client isn't there, it skips it and moves on. It will then try to come back to it later to see if it is available. But there is no ignore clients button in a normal script....

2) Is there a way to automatically overwrite inserted tapes that do not belong to the current backup session?

Well, if they do not belong and you want to use them in your current set, then you must manually erase them. If they do belong and you want to start over on them, then the Recycle option is the way to go. It will erase the media and then backup to it. Sorry that I couldn't give you a better option here.

Melissa

Archived