backup FreeBSD 5.x and 4.x?

Hi all,

can someone tell me your experiences in backing up Freebsd servers with retrospect 7.0? Do you use the linux client under linux emulation? Is there a way to compile a client on freebsd from source? I still have a mix of freebsd 5 and 4. Are there any specific issues to watch out for? Is there a difference between the 2 in regards to backing them up with retrospect?

I'm planning on buying the mulitserver + addon, but would like to have the issues above clarified before I make my decision to go with dantz or other backup software....

toughts?

~ Filip

I've been able to get it to work under 4.x and linux emu, but have been unable to make it work under FreeBSD 5.x. Note that I haven't tried the new linux client that ships with 7 -- can anyone confirm or deny whether it works any better?

I really like retrospect as a product, but have been very disappointed with their lack of support for unix based systems other than the basics. I think it would be a smart move of dantz to release an UNSUPPORTED version for other platforms/distributions.

Had I known these issues ahead of time I would have chosen a different product. If *BSD is important to you, I'd look elsewhere for your backup software needs.

hmm, that doesn't look too good then...I was really hoping to use dantz because of the features it offers in package. But indeed, as you say, if there is no way to do proper backups on a Freebsd 5.x machine, this might be a showstopper.

Can anyone from Dantz please comment on this, on your (future) commitment towards xBSD as OS to be supported. Would you be willing to create an unsupported client? Or provide source code under a contract so we can do the porting ourselves?

IMHO, if you Dantz can support Mac OSX, supporting FreeBSD should not be very hard (or at least creating a client for it) as under the hood the mac osx was derived from BSD+mach kernel.

The lack of BSD clients seem to me to be the only big gap in your product...

~ Filip

Hi

Getting the client to run and supporting it are different issues. You are correct that making it run would be easy. Doing enough testing to guarantee full system restores is the killer.

I know some users have used linux emulation to run the client on BSD. I would search the forum here for more info.

Thanks

Nate

Archived