Excluding files

Hi,

I can exclude the windows directory and all its underlings by putting "windows" in the exclusions list and checking include subdirectories. However, this (unfortunately) excludes any other directory call windows buried on some other part of my disk (that I might want backed up). I tried putting in c:\windows in the exclusdions list - but it didn't seem to work. Hence my question is - "how do i exclude a directory or a file with a specific path?"

Cheers,

John

The problem is that there is an important and not obvious difference between the Universal selectors and the MAC or Windows(Fat/NTFS) selectors. If you look at Universal/Name, it does look like you can exclude a folder and its subfolders. It will even let you enter a standard Windows path (like c:\windows) without giving an error message. But it gives the problem that you posed, e.g., you're also excluding folders like d:\techsupport\Windows..

Melissa explained to you that you need to put the exclude in as a path. What you need to understand is that when she referred to "path", she meant the Path selection under Windows(FAT/NTFS) in the Left Pane of the selectors window. Then you can put c:\windows in the right pane.

Archived