Creating Recovery CD with Retrospect Pro 7.0

jimtalbert

I have Retrospect Express and am considering upgrading to Pro 7.0 to make creating the Disaster Recovery CD creation simpler. I'm using an external hard drive as my backup medium and my PC won't boot with the external drive powered on. I'm assuming that the CD is required for Pro recoveries just as it is for Express recoveries. If so, do I have to put Pro on my 2nd PC to create the CD on it to recover my 1st PC if the 1st PC won't boot?

Hi

Retrospect Professional and Express can create disaster recovery CDs for the local computer only. You would need to install Retrospect on both machines, back up locally on both machines and then create the DR CD on both machine.

BTW the failure to boot with the drive plugged in is a hardware problem, not a problem with the DR CD

Thanks

Nate

Thanks again, Nate. I'm a bit confused about your last post.

Here is the quote from the Retrospect Express help which is leading me to consider purchasing Retrospect Pro:

"Dantz Retrospect can create disaster recovery CDs for server and client computers. While other vendors require that the Disaster Recovery CD be created when the computer is still functional, Retrospect can create a Recovery CD for a computer that is no longer working. Retrospect gathers the data required as a normal part of backing up the computer."

I thought this meant that with a Retrospect Pro backup of crashed PC1 I could create the necessary recovery CD on PC2 (but not with a Retrospect Express backup).

Hi

Any networked machine that you install the Retrospect client software on is considered a client. Since it sounds like you have two machines you would install Retrospect on one and Retrospect client on the other. With Professional you will only be able to create a disaster recovery CD for the machine running Retrospect.

_However_ you can still do a full system (OS, applications, data, everything...) restore of the client computer without a Disaster Recovery CD. This is called live restore and works for both clients and the local backup machine. Disaster Recovery is not required for a full restore of any system.

Thanks

Nate

Archived