Error -519 backing up registry

tschaefges

I've got one machine that will almost always (95% of the time) give me a -519 error when the snapshot creation gets to the registry. When creating a snapshot for this system, Retrospect will go through the other system state things and finally show Registry in the status window. It will sit there for maybe 2 minutes and then give a -519 communication error.

Sometimes just rerunning the backup after rebooting that machine will let the backup execute to completion.

If I turn off the system state option this machine will get backed up just fine, but that's not a very satisfactory option.

How can I figure out what's going on with this? There's something going on with the client that's prevening it from access the registry properly.

I didn't know about regcopy.exe, but I just tried it. Both manual methods work fine. I even tried regcopy.exe just moments after the backup had failed with a -519 and it worked fine. Are there any log entries that detail what was happening right at the point of error?

In the mean time I have used regcopy.exe to schedule a daily backup of the registry before Retrospect runs to back up this machine. But, since the problem happens near the beginning of Building Snapshot, is it correct that I do not have snapshots for this machine?

Hi

It is likely that the snapshots are missing some information. You can check by retrieving an older snapshot and browsing its contents.

If you boot into safe mode with networking does the same error 519 occur when you backup this client?

Thanks

Nate

Hi

What is the OS of this problem machine? What other software is installed or running in the background when Retrospect runs?

You might want to try uninstalling the network driver on the client machine and re installing it after a reboot. If there are any network driver updates available be sure to apply them.

If that still fails, try uninstalling the 7.0 client and installing the 6.0 client instead. The codebase of these two clients is very different - I'm curious to see if it helps.

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/client_60.exe

Thanks

Nate

The problem client is Windows XP SP2. NOD32 and Sygate Personal Firewall run in the background, but both have been disabled and the problem persists. It deosn't seem to matter what's running on this machine. I've tested this many times and it always stops at the registry backup.

When I try to uninstall 7.0 I get the fatal error report dialog asking if I want to send the data to Microsoft.

AppName: retfwset.exe AppVer: 7.0.107.0 ModName: retfwset.exe

ModVer: 7.0.107.0 Offset: 0000310d

Then when I try to send the report I get an Application Error in retroclient:

The instruction at "0x7c80979d" referenced memory at "0x00685900". The memory could not be "written".

The client appears to have been removed, but since I got those two errors I am not sure what state it's in.

I installed client 6.0. Same problem in exactly the same place. The server status says "Building snapshot..." and goes through the stuff like WMI Repository, etc., and gets to Registry. After about a minute the backup quits with a -519. The status briefly changes to Retrying... and then goes on to Compressing Snapshot before closing down.

Should I go back to client 7.0 since that didn't work?

Hi

As a test can you temporarily uninstall the sygate firewall, disable the windows firewall, reinstall the 7.0 client and try another backup? I suspect that either the sygate firewall or a faulty network driver are involved here somehow.

Thanks

Nate

Thanks for the suggestions, Nate.

With the firewall uninstalled, I was able to get the 7.0 client installed without the retfwset error. Two backups have run so far without the -519 error. I'll let tonight's backup run and if it goes OK I will put the Sygate firewall back and see what happens.

Archived