Problem with Disaster Recovery and Promise SATA PCI card

jelenko

Just installed a Promise SATA PCI card. Recreated DR CD. Booted from DR CD.

After temporary Retrospect environment is launched, SATA Drive was not recognized. AND, worse, system backup on the DVD was not recognized! So, I couldn't restore the sytem.

Exited the temporary environment and let the DR CD finish installing Windows - on last reboot, it bluescreened just after BIOS was finished!

Using Retrospect 6.5 Pro, build 350. Win XP SP2.

Unless there's an easy fix to this, it's off to Stomp.

Update.

1. All worked fine after going back to a previous state when the Promise SATA card was not installed. No bluescreen; DVD was recognized! Not happy about not being able to use the SATA card, but it's not critical. [back to the Promise ATA card]

FWIW, before returning to the non SATA state [per above], I rebuilt the DR CD. This time, the DR CD hung when trying to load Windows Promise UltraSATAII150 TX2Plus driver. Retried with same DR CD, then with new DR CD. Always hung at this point. Also tried F6 to specify the driver - still tried to load the driver and hung.

Lastly, even after uninstalling the SATA card from Device Manager and recreating a new DR CD, the DR CD still tried to load the driver. [Confirmed that the SATA card no longer showed in Device Manager - even as a hidden device - using cmd: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1]

2. Tried Stomp - it doesn't compare to Retrospect. It simply uses the built in ntbackup and Automated System Restore in Win XP. For me, unacceptable - I have several GB on a second hard drive that does not need to be part of the system backup/restore. And, I need the flexibility to not necessarily have all the hard drives partitioned the way they were at the original backup.

Just bought the SATA card - it's Promise's latest version. Checked driver and firmware - the one's posted on Promise's site are just the orginal ones - i.e., same as the ones shipped with the card.

Yes, I did try pressing F6, but that just led to the DR CD first claiming that it already had drivers, did I want to continue? After saying, yes, continue DR CD later said it could not load about 5-6 specific files - including ultrasata.sys - which is one of the files from Promise.

Still got bluescreen at the first reboot.

Quote:

Hi

Are you using a Windows XP SP2 CD to create the Disaster Recovery image? You cannot use an SP1 CD for this.

Nate - Thanks for helping on this.

I think so - I've got an install CD that has SP2 slipstreamed into the files from a SP1a CD. Should that work?

I'm actually using files copied from the slipstreamed from i386 on the CD onto the hard drive - would that be any issue?

Hi

If the slipstreamed CD is bootable and works for a regular install then you should be fine. Copying the files to the hard drive won't be a problem either.

For the record:

Retrospect should either include the SATA drivers in the DR image or allow you to add them with F6 at boot. Thats how it is designed anyway. In the past there have been some controller cards/drivers that just don't seem to work with DR. In those cases you need to manually install the OS before doing a full system recovery.

Now back to the matter at hand...

Can you run a test please? Install the SATA card but don't attach anything to it. Reboot the machine so Windows is happy with the drivers. Then run a backup again and create another DR CD (again while nothing is attached to the SATA card). When you run the disaster recovery does it hang at the same place?

Here's what I'm getting at - I'm assuming you switched the system drive from one controller to another one when you got the new card. I wonder if the switch is what's causing problems rather than the card drivers?

Thanks

Nate

OK. I'll try it.

FYI. The system drive is on the motherboard IDE 0 controller, not the SATA card. The SATA card was attached to a second hard drive used for storing files, install exe's, and all the Retrospect file backups. [i also have backups to CD's in case the second hard drive were to fail at the same time as the system one].

Did the test. The DR CD still hangs at loading the Windows Promise SATAII150 TX2plus driver.

I'm going to try installing a format up install of SP2 [i've got a couple spare disks]. Then install the SATA card [i.e., not install the ATA card first].

Well, it failed that test also. Completely clean install of Win XP SP2. Loaded motherboard drivers, installed SATA card. Installed Retrospect and Nero. Created test backup. Created DR CD. DR CD hangs at loading the driver for the SATA card.

Hi

So as long as the SATA card is installed disaster recovery fails. Even when the system disk is on another controller. When the SATA card is not in the machine Disaster Recovery works fine. Is that correct?

I'll see what we need to do to go forward from here.

I'm curious:

Does the DR still hang if you pull the SATA card out of the machine and then boot using a DR CD that you created while the SATA card was installed? In other words, is it the driver for the SATA card failing to load properly or is the DR fouled up to the point where its getting stuck on the SATA driver?

Thanks

Nate

Nate - Thanks for sticking with this.

Quote:

So as long as the SATA card is installed disaster recovery fails. Even when the system disk is on another controller. When the SATA card is not in the machine Disaster Recovery works fine. Is that correct?

Disaster Recovery only works if the SATA card has NEVER been in the machine. I.e., even after removing the SATA card from device manager, shutting down, removing the card, rebooting, recreate DR CD, it still hangs on loading the Promise SATA driver.

Quote:

Does the DR still hang if you pull the SATA card out of the machine and then boot using a DR CD that you created while the SATA card was installed? In other words, is it the driver for the SATA card failing to load properly or is the DR fouled up to the point where its getting stuck on the SATA driver?

Didn't try exactly that. But I did do the following:

After uninstalling the SATA card from device manager, shutting down, physically remove the SATA card. Physically install the ATA card, boot - XP discovered the hardware and installed the correct driver. Made new backup set, created new DR CD. DR CD STILL hung on loading the SATA driver. Is this sufficient to answer the question?

[i assumed that removing the device from device manager does not remove all the registry entries and that the DR CD creation process is looking somewhere in the registry other than where devices are registered as installed]

Thanks

Hi

One last test (I hope so anyway), please create a new backup set of any media type, run a full backup and use that snapshot + the slipstreamed XP SP2 CD to create a disaster recovery image.

If that fails please send the following to me at pacrimsupport@dantz.com :

Windows system info report

This is done in start->programs->accessories->system tools->system info. Please save the report as text and make sure you have the topmost menu item highlighted when you export the report.

Make/model of the SATA card and a list of what you have connected to it.

(I know its it your posts but please verify)

If you have broadband access (and can stomach a 600MB upload) we will want to get a copy of the failed DR CD image. I'll provide upload details off forum.

Thanks

Nate @ EMC Dantz support

Nate - Same problem with trial version of Retrospect 7 Build 265.

Just to confirm, installed 7.0 over existing 6.5 install. Assumed that the files in Documents/Settings - Applications wouldn't have any effect.

As usual, created new backup set and new DR CD pointing to the new backup set. Still hung loading the Promise SATA driver.

After reading Dantz's article on Intel's Application Accelerator, occured to me that the latest nVidia IDE driver implements command queing and other [unspecified] improvements.

Sure enough, after restoring nVidia's original IDE drivers and building a new DR CD, the DR CD successfully gets to the Windows XP Professional Setup screen where you get to choose which drive/partition to install on. HOWEVER, the DR CD did NOT load the SATA drivers - at least the SATA drive is not visible at this screen.

After F6/specifying the SATA driver, DR CD again got to the XP Setup page AND showed the SATA drive.

I need to do some prepatory work before continuing on to doing an actual restore to the SATA drive. Will report results.

Update:

After choosing a partition to restore to, Setup reports it cannot load the specific files for the Promise SATA card. Ignoring the files leads to BSOD on first reboot.

I would like to add that I also ran into this problem with a SiI 3112A SATAraid controller. The DR process stops when loading the driver during the text mode setup phase.

Using Windows XP Pro SP2 slipstreamed cd for creating the DR CD.

Motherboard is an Abit NF7-S ver. 2 using an nVidia NForce 2 chipset.

Hope that this can be cured soon... frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a very similar problem.

Am running Retrospect 7.0.265 on a WinXP SP2 Intel P4 computer. System backup proceeds without problems. I can create a DR CD, also without problem, using a slip-streamed SP2 WinXP OEM CD.

My system has a Intel ICH5R chip, as well as a Promise FastTrak 378 TX2+ chip to provide a total of 4 SATA ports (2 each). My system hard drive is hooked up to the ICH5R, and the FastTrak 378 is disabled in BIOS. WinXP's system control panel does *not* show the FastTrak controller (confirming that it is indeed disabled).

However, when I boot from the DR CD, it "hangs" at the part where it tries to load the "WinXP Promise FastTrak 378 controller" driver. I can never get beyond this point.

Now, I used to have drives hooked up to the 378. But, I uninstalled them and disabled the 378 chip in BIOS.

I can only assume that this is related to the problems that FlyingHorse is also having.

Any luck with a fix yet??

Actually, I think I just solved the problem. The clue was in what Nate said earlier in this thread.

What I did was:

1. re-enabled 378 chip in BIOS

2. re-started in WinXP normally ... system detected 378 chip and installed drivers

3. went to control panel, system devices, highlighted 378 chip, hit DISABLE, then UNINSTALL

4. re-started computer, went into BIOS, disabled 378 chip

5. re-booted to WinXP normally

6. made backup of system using Retrospect, made new DR CD afterwards using SP2 slip-streamed CD

7. re-started system, booting via the DR CD ... now it works!

apparently you have to uninstall the 378 chip so that it clears it from the registry (i'm guessing). this way DR won't include a set of drivers even though the hardware isn't being used.

Archived