Can I restrict/prevent the 'rotation' between 'backup sets' of "automated proactive backup scripts"?

Hi,

I'm running v7, Multi Server value package on a server attached to a disc array.

I'm a new user to retrospect.

Can I restrict or prevent the 'rotation' between 'backup sets' of "automated proactive backup scripts" ?

1/ I want to use 'automated proactive backup scripts' to capture laptop clients on our network.

2/ I want several distinct backup sets , because our environment is mixed and has machines of different importance.

So I have limited the sources to certain groups and destinations to certain backup sets. The idea is allow more current backup threads and less file duplication.

Any idea's,

Brian.

Hi

How many proactive scripts are you using? Using multiple scripts at the same time would allow you to split up the sources and backup sets based on priority.

One other hint - dividing up your sources into source groups in the configure->volumes window will make managing your script sources much easier.

Thanks

Nate

Hi Nate,

I have seperate proactive scripts for each pair of "source group" and "backup set".

What puzzels me is the source group selection seems irrelevant, as soon as a client is available, it is backed upto whatever backupset is most readily available.

Example.

proactive Script*-----*"Source group" *-------------------* Destination "Backup set"

script A*---------------*laptop*----------------------------* laptop backup set

script B*---------------*Desktop*--------------------------* Desktop backup set

script c*---------------*Mac*--------------------------------* Mac backup set

"Laptop IBM" from source group 'laptops' when detected will be backed up 'laptop backup set'.

But "Laptop Dell" from source group 'laptops' will be backed up to the 'Desktop backup set'.

And so on ....

proactive scripts look for the most freely available backupset (but I want to control which script uses which backup set)

a bug or misconfigured setting?

Brian.

Hi

Yes and no.

When you create a source group whatever you have highlighted when you click on the "new group" icon gets added to the new group. Most people (myself included) highlight the source group menu item and then click on the new group icon. Hence the confusion.

The idea is that you can hold down the control key, highlight all your desired sources then instantly add them to a new group.

Thanks

Nate

Archived