retrospect hangs on "updating status"

Spines11

I just got a 300gb Maxtor one touch II which came with Retrospect Express HD for Windows, version 1.0.196. My operating system is Windows XP SP2. Yesterday I installed the retrospect software and had it make a restore point. Since then i installed Microsoft visual studio, and now i am trying to create another restore point. However, when i open Retrospect the screen says.

"

Welcome to Retrospect Express HD for the Maxtor OneTouch

Updating status...

0 restore points available.

"

It stays at that screen forever, I have waited hours with no sign of change.

The button to restore is grayed out, the button to Setup is clickable but nothing happens when i click it.

The retrospect program is using about a constant 6% of my cpu.

My Maxtor drive is plugged in, and i am able to access the files on the drive, and i do see the folder that retrospect stores the restore points.

Yesterday when i opened retrospect, I was able to see the 2 restore points that I had and everything worked fine.

Hi

Be sure to install the latest version of .NET framework from the windows update site.

If the problems continue, delete the Retrospect preferences folder located at c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\Retrospect Express HD. The folder will be recreated the next time you launch Retrospect.

Thanks

Nate

• 1 month later...

Dear Nate,

I have the same problem as the previous- my Retrospect always hangs on "Updating staus" and nothing happens for ages. Ive tried all the tips that you wrote. That is, updating all windows patches and deleted the settings folder for Retrospect but it always return to the same proble.

What can I do?

• 2 weeks later...

I also have exactly the same problem - the drive itself install fine, but the Retrospect software a) takes ages to load, B) uses c. 95% of my cpu and c) never gets past updating status.

I have reloaded .NET 1.1, and added the latest sp and hotfix from Windows update.

I run XP pro and have turned off the windows firewall.

I also have Norton Internet security and have tried installing the software with a) the anti-virus, firewall and internet security disabled and B) with 127.0.0.1 opened (as per Dantz KB article 7927).

I would be extremely angry if the back-up sotware did not work because of an incompatibility issue with one of the most popular home firewalls available - those who buy back-up software are by their nature careful IT users. In fact exactly the same sort of people who would buy firewall/anti-virus software.

Finally, my broadband connection runs goes via a netgear DG824 modem/router/firewall. Do I also need to open ports on this for the software to run?

Hi

No need to open ports on your firewall. What other applications run on your system at startup? You might want to try using Retrospect Express 6.0 rather than Retrospect Express HD. The Express 6.0 installer is located in the Network folder on the Maxtor install CD

Thanks

Nate

• 11 months later...

I have the same issue Spines, but I use this on a Windows Small Business Server 2003 - which I was informed by support should be fine. On the screen (waiting even a few hours)

"

Welcome to Retrospect Express HD for the Maxtor OneTouch

Updating status...

0 restore points available.

"

I started and stopped it, but nothing seems to work. Is there like some secret for this to work right or does it not work at all?

I also have just started experiencing the same scenario as Spines & woolander. Can't seem to 'fix' it by implementing any of the suggestions above.

It seems strange that it has only just happened after operating perfectly for 3 months.

Any other suggestions?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Tried all of the above and everything else I could find and still no success. V 1.1.127 hangs at 'unlicensed'. I have microswoft .net ver. 1,2,3 installed on my XP PRO system. Can't figure out away to remove them. Tried and get a message that one of the .dll file is being used. All this worked fine on my previous ME system. I just moved to XP a week or so ago and used the Xternal drive for moving files to the new system. So I would like to do it. Question--does ver. 2.0 do any better job?? Is it compatable with XP PRO and microsoft .net and it versions ?

Archived