Disaster Recovery error: Image too big

robsedor

I am trying to create a disaster recovery CD with Retrospect 7 on an Windows XP Pro SP2 machine. The computer was upgraded to SP2, but I am using an official Win XP Pro SP 2 disk to create the ISO. The process fails with the error "ISO image is too big" to fit on a single CD. FYI the backup set snapshot size is 79 mb. The backup is being written to a second internal hard disk.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert

Quote:

Hi

How much larger than a CD is the ISO image? What video card and driver do you have installed?

Thanks

Nate

Nate:

I am also having the same problem. Once DR determines the image file will be too large, DR gives an error message. No matter which option I choose DR exits so I can not tell you how large the image file would be. My video card has a nVidia FX-5900 chip, the driver is nVidia version 67.20.

Is there anything that can safely be removed from the I386 folder of WINXP SP2 CD that would let you build a smaller DR image file?

Quote:

I am trying to create a disaster recovery CD with Retrospect 7 on an Windows XP Pro SP2 machine. The computer was upgraded to SP2, but I am using an official Win XP Pro SP 2 disk to create the ISO. The process fails with the error "ISO image is too big" to fit on a single CD. FYI the backup set snapshot size is 79 mb. The backup is being written to a second internal hard disk.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert

My recollection is that Dantz changed Retrospect so a copy of the catalog is not recorded to the DR.

Quote:

I am having the same problem. I have tried putting in on a second hard drive to later compress it and transfer it to a DC - but with no luck.

An "ISO image" cannot be compressed, it is an image of what goes on the CD.

You could try recreating the image using, say Nero or Roxio software, but I doubt that would make any difference,

Quote:

Quote:

Hi

How much larger than a CD is the ISO image? What video card and driver do you have installed?

Thanks

Nate

Nate:

I am also having the same problem. Once DR determines the image file will be too large, DR gives an error message. No matter which option I choose DR exits so I can not tell you how large the image file would be. My video card has a nVidia FX-5900 chip, the driver is nVidia version 67.20.

Is there anything that can safely be removed from the I386 folder of WINXP SP2 CD that would let you build a smaller DR image file?

Nate:

The new release, build 256, of Retrospect 7.0 DR will now build the oversized imiage. In my case it was 712Mb. I was able to copy the image to CD using Nero in the overburn mode.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the same problem with Retrospect Pro version 265 , 7.0.3.101. My 'slipstreamed' i386 directory is about 556 MB. Latest Nero 6 Ultra appears capable of creating a bootable DVD which would resolve the space issue but Retrospect Disaster Recovery doesn't seem to know of the DVD's burner's existence (though it will write backups to it w/o complaint).

Does anyone know if Dantz is working on a solution?

I called tech support and they advised me to update Retrospect to version 7.0.3.101 and with the 7.0.265 Installer that can be found on the website. Install both, reboot the computer and then try it again. You may get an error message as I did but if you indicate that you want to go forward it will work. I then used Roxio to burn the image to a CD.

Archived