How did I lock DVD and make it incompatible?

Last December I purchased an EZQuest Boa DVD+/-RW/DL writer (#K16661). Used PatchBurn and happily did a couple of backups and test restores. Yesterday, I wanted to do a recycle backup. Retrospect would use my one remaining "new" Maxell DVD+R, but would not use the remaining five that I had, saying they were either "locked and asking me to unlock the DVDs" or that they were "incompatible." One of them is the "Test Config" DVD, and I just read in another post that it is a coaster now. I kinda recall once trying to erase the DVD+R's with Retrospect in an effort to prepare them for backup use, but I'm not sure.

Why does Retrospect think that the DVD+R is locked? Why does DiskUtility show it as full and "read only"? What on earth did I do to mess up all remaining DVDs?

My three rdi's are still intact in Library/Prefs/Retrospect, I installed the newest rdu yesterday, but this morning, I did put back my old RetroConfig 6.0 file thinking that was the problem. Retrospect was happy to write to my new DVD, but did not like any of the others.

Don't know if this affects anything or not, but I did apply a Toast Titanium 6.0.9 upgrade (TT came w/the burner) and told it to "ignore CD/DVD's" because I thought I had read that here at some time.

Anyway, can someone please advise me on what I probably did to coasterize my remaining supply of DVD+R's? I plan to buy new media today, but I'd like to prevent another fiasco like this one.

Thanks in advance.

Thurletta Brown-Gavins

Quote:

Hi

One basic thing, Only insert media when Retrospect asks you for it. In other words, start the backup with the drive empty. This will prevent other burning programs from grabbing hold of the disk.

Thanks

Nate

Thanks, Nate, but I did start the backup w/an empty burner. (I must have killed those other DVDs by trying to format them *in advance* for Retrospect.)

Now another problem along these same lines. I bought new DVD+R's over the weekend, and the Boa 16X DVD+/-RW DL FireWire external burner (#K16661) started a backup of 10 GB. The writing was done in 2 hours, then during the verification stage...into the second hour of that (surprised at how slow this backup was)...Retrospect quit. I tried to test the new backup set, but I seem to have made 3 new coasters.

This was my first backup since going from 10.3.7 to 10.3.8. In 10.3.7, the custom rdi made after running PatchBurn worked just fine so I don't know if this has anything to do w/now running 10.3.8.

Could this be a memory problem? (I had repaired permissions and run TechTool Pro before starting the backup.)

I'm using OS 10.3.8, Retro 6.0.204 w/latest update, 768 MB RAM, dual-boot G4 running in OSX. Is there a way to assign more memory to Retrospect (like in the good old days of OS9 get-info/memory), or is there any advice you can give? I'm telling Retrospect to back up my entire drive (that came in useful years ago in version 5 when I needed to restore the entire hard drive) and the amount to be stored is only 10 GB, which is why I can't understand why things got choked this time.

Thanks in advance for you help on this one.

Thurletta

Quote:

Hi

Can you post the detailed information about the drive that shows in configure->devices->device status? Please post the entire line.

The update from 10.3.7 to 10.3.8 shouldn't make any difference at all.

Thanks

Nate

Sure hope this is what you meant:

ID Vendor Product Version Driver

FireWire-A Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-108 1.14 Pioneer DVD DL (5.11)

Nate, there are three rdi's in HardDrive/Library/Preferences/Retrospect and I don't know which one it is reading from. The Boa takes +/-R and DL media though I haven't tried DL yet only +R which previously worked fine.

Hope to hear from you soon. I'm eager to do a successful backup.

Thurletta

Hi

Perfect. Thats what I was looking for.

This drive is natively supported in Retrospect driver update 5.7 and above. You do not need to run auto configuration or use rdi files.

Just be sure to download and install the latest driver update from the EMC Dantz site. Then move/delete the RDI files. You should be able to backup with no trouble.

Here are the details for support of your drive:

http://www.dantz.com/en/support/compatibility_list_detail.dtml?id=9335

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Hi

Perfect. Thats what I was looking for.

This drive is natively supported in Retrospect driver update 5.7 and above. You do not need to run auto configuration or use rdi files.

Just be sure to download and install the latest driver update from the EMC Dantz site. Then move/delete the RDI files. You should be able to backup with no trouble.

Here are the details for support of your drive:

Thanks

Nate

Nate,

This is going from bad to worse. When I did the last backup, there were 222 execution errors, most of them referring to PatchBurn (software that is supposed to make OSX recognize certain DVD burners). I deleted PatchBurn, the three rdi's, and reinstalled the Retro driver update and this time Retrospect stopped during the verification phase to point out 22 execution errors and indicating that there were 9 files that had not been backed up. I'm at my wit's end. My collection is coasters is growing, and I'm still without a backup.

I read in the manual or online that in viewing the operations log one should "take the proper action" when viewing execution errors, but it doesn't say what the "proper action" is. Are we to tell Retrospect to ignore the errors and complete the backup or what. Most of the 22 errors were date/time errors that were not that important. I still have no earthly idea what the nine files are that cannot be backed up.

Also, this is greek to me, but under Additional Error Info, it showed the following string:

f0 00 03 00 1e 72 10 06 00 00 00 00 11 05 00 00 00 00

The very first (and only!) backup done w/the Boa was 12/2004. I just can't understand why I can't get another one to complete itself, and anxiously await your help. (Would have gotten back sooner, but I've been flat on my back all week w/102 temp and the flu!)

Thurletta

Hi

If you are seeing date time errors that means Retrospect at least copied everything. Run a verify from the tools menu in Retrospect and then try running another normal backup. It should append those 9 files that didn't back up.

Thanks

Nate

Archived