Backup to Mac Server share

Mikeman

I want to use a share on a Mac OS X Xserve to duplicate files from my Win 2003 Server with Retrospect 6.5 MultiServer. When I try to choose it, Retrospect gives me an error "Error getting volume information, cannot add this volume to the database". Can Retrospect for windows use a Mac share? And if no, then why not? Every other Windows application can. It's just an SMB share.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

No, Retrospect can backup SMB volumes too. The problem is caused by the version of Samba. There were a number of problems with logon in samba versions earlier than 3.0.6. Those have been resolved with later releases but the Samba version in OSX 10.2 has not been updated by Apple.

I know some people have updated manually updated the Samba versions on OSX machines but I don't have any details on how its done. (or if it really works...)

Retrospect client is really the best way to access Mac clients in Retrospect.

Thanks

Nate

Hi

What do you mean by "cannot make a connection"?

You can install Retrospect client on the OSX server, open port 497 on the firewall and access it just like any other client machine.

You can install both Retrospect and Retrospect client on the same computer with no trouble.

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Archived