Remote client upgrade does not seem to work properly

waldorfm

We are running several MS Windows Multi Servers version 6.5 with several hundred clients. The clients are version 5.1, 6.0 and 6.5. A recent client upgrade from 5.1 to 6.5 did not work, and according to you, the upgrade path from 5.1 to 6.5 is too large, and so I should upgrade to 6.0 first. Recently I decided to try the upgrade again and updated/reverted all clients to 6.0. The log is showing that most clients were updated. There was a restart of all computers scheduled 2 times during the last couple of nights, but when I check the client versions, or attempt the upgrade to 6.0 again, it shows that only 10 % of computers are using that new version. What's going on?

getting an answer from you for the following questions can help:

- Is there some strict upgrade path, e.g. 5.1->6.0->6.5?

- Under what user is the upgrade performed on the remote client?

- Assuming that above is Local Admin under Windows, are there any possible

restriction. e.g. profile on domain controllers, that may interfere with the upgrade?

- Do remote clients need to be restarted after each version upgrade, or can various

upgrades be applied and the client restarted later?

- What is the impact or symptoms if clients are not restarted after an upgrade, as

they probably still respond to the previous version of Retrospect being active?

- Can I force a restart after upgrading a client remotely?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

- Is there some strict upgrade path, e.g. 5.1->6.0->6.5?

Not really but 5.1 is very old. These clients may not always update correctly. I would update them to the 5.6 client,restart the machines and then try again with the 6.5 update.

- Under what user is the upgrade performed on the remote client?

System account, but that doesn't affect the success or failure of the update.

- Assuming that above is Local Admin under Windows, are there any possible

restriction. e.g. profile on domain controllers, that may interfere with the upgrade?

Doubtful

- Do remote clients need to be restarted after each version upgrade, or can various upgrades be applied and the client restarted later?

Restart the clients after each update.

- What is the impact or symptoms if clients are not restarted after an upgrade, as they probably still respond to the previous version of Retrospect being active?

The client may not work at all or it will continue running the older version of the client software.

- Can I force a restart after upgrading a client remotely?

Unfortunately no.

Thanks,

Nate

Archived