restoring mailbox

casedata

I am using retrospect 6.5 to individually back up our exchange 2003 mailboxes. I have two back up sets, backing up daily and set to recycle every other week.

I tried to restore a mailbox for a user, following the restore procedure for mailboxes, and when i do, it shows that there is 738 Mb in the mailbox backup. The problem is that when i tell it to restore it only restores the data from the previous days backup. So i only get a partial mailbox after it is restored.

Is there a way to "force" or to make sure that all 738 Mb get restored?

Hi

It sounds to me like you are doing incremental mailbox backups that are out of sync with your recycle backups. As a result some of the mailbox data was deleted with your last recycle.

Exchange and SQL backups use the built in Microsoft APIs for backup. As a result they do not use the progressive backup technology that Retrospect uses. Its a good idea to schecule a full exchange and mailbox backup every time you recycle a backup set so you always have the data you need.

Retrospect will do a mailbox restore using all the available pieces of the mailbox backup. There is no need to force it to do a full restore. If there are peices of the backup missing Retrospect will just restore what is available.

Thanks

Nate

Archived