Incremental backup doesn't work

gerken

For some reason incremental backup is not working. I am using Windows XP Home edition and the latest (5.6) version of Retrospect Backup Express on a Dell 4000 series machine. My backup media is an Iomega 250 internal Zip drive.

I created a backup of "My Documents" and a few other directories such as "Favorites" and my personal templates for Office 2000. The backup went smoothly. However, the closeout process of creating the snapshot, etc. appears to have taken a very long time to execute. Maybe I just don't understand what is supposed to be happening and a long time is the right amount of time.

Next, I tested the disks for Restore capability and this process worked just fine. Then I tested the program to ensure it would make an incremental backup to the set. After changing a couple of files to makes sure there would be some changes I inserted the last disk in the set into the program and started an Immediate Backup. Instead of making an incremental backup of the changed files. It started to backup the entire hard drive. And yes the switch was set to "Normal". I tried the process again using a single disk and just a couple of files. The same thing happened. I then uninstalled the software and reinstalled the software. And the same thing happened.

I don't know what to do next! Help!

See what is different between the files.

Find a file that Retrospect wants to backup again.

Go to Configure/Backupsets and then click on your backupset. Go to Snapshots and get properties on the file. Keep that screen open. Now get properties on the same file on your hard drive. What is different? That would be the reason on why that file wants to be backed up again.

Ok. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chose a folder with lots of files. Selected four of them for backup. Performed backup. Compared files in snapshot with those on hard disk. Files are exactly the same. Then tried another immediate backup of the same backup set. The Preview line on Immediate backup did not show any specific files being selected. Opened Preview and all files in the folder were selected. The ones I had previously backed up also had a diamond shape in the flag column. Began Immediate Backup and software tried to backup all files instead of an incremental backup of the four files.

Thanks for you help and consideration in sticking with me on this topic. Would appreciate any further hints you may have

In your Log does it say that it completed the entire drive?

Remember it might look like it is backing up the entire drive but really it isn't. It has to scan through eveything in order to make a snapshot.

I think this is what is going on here. If you went into the preview window it would have a Diamond next to those that have already been backed up. All files will have a check mark. The catch is the diamond. The diamond means it won't back up those files again.

Archived