Scheduled jobs not running as scheduled

milesc

Jobs scheduled to run at 7pm every night. Most of the time it works fine.

Every once in a while (we haven't found a pattern) the scheduler quits executing jobs at the specified time. The next time we log into the server and start Retrospect, the previously scheduled job starts then.

The "Retrospect Launcher" services is running. We have tried stopping it and restarting it to no avail.

This is running on an SBS server that is very clean as far as software running on it goes. The only other application running all the time is a Pervasive Database engine and there are 2 HP Jetdirect printers runningthrough the server. Exchange and SQL are not even loaded on this machine.

Usually, a reboot of the server fixes the problem. But finding a time to reboot this server is not convenient to do as often as it is happening.

Any ideas?

With Retrospect 6.5 Multi-Server on a particular W2K Server machine, I gave up on the Retro Launcher service (after it gave up on me...) and just left Retrospect running 24/7. I'm running both scheduled and Proactive jobs and the server is in a secure location so there wan't any risk (and the server software needs to run pretty much all the time anyway due to Proactive). Can you disable the Retro Launcher option and just leave the program running?

I'm now running Retrospect 7.0, but haven't tried reenabling the launcher on the MS machine.

I could do that. However, it would make for some issues when I need to check up on the client remotely since I cannot run another instance of Retrospect and there is no way that I know of to look at backup logs / reports without running Retrospect.

Am still holding out that Nate has a suggestion on this one! smile.gif

As another nit, do you really need to be able to log in and check on Retrospect? I'm running R7 MS at a site that I can't reach from outside and I've been having pretty good luck with the the email notification since it now mails both errors *and* successful backup messages. I've made a couple of suggestions for this in the Windows area and have some more (e.g. mail more or all of the log--a few status messages or details don't come thru) but I get a pretty good idea, good and bad, of how Retro is doing without needing to actually log into the machine.

• 4 weeks later...

Add to this when we exit Retrospect and ask it to check media:

Script Nightly Network is ready for excution,

but Retrospect must be launched manually

The retrospect launcher service is running. I stopped it and restarted it but we still get this message.

Nate? What gives? smile.gif Help!

I am also having scheluler problem with version 7! Running Single Server and most of the time it doesn't work, when I log on the compter retro will launch and perform the scheduled job. The servcie is running, I already tried an un/reinstall. Have the last driver of a few days ago.

I just want it fixed and no work arounds, version 6.5 worked fine, I might have to go back to that!

Can Dantz at least admit this is a bug or what?

I leave mine running 24/7 also. I connect remotely to my computer either via Netmeeting (must be enabled on the server by typing 'conf' at the command line) or via Terminal Services (%windir%\system32\mstsc.exe -v:servername /F -console). If you have questions about either one of these, let me know.

This is a good reason why Retro needs to run as a service and have the Retro GUI become an interface into the service.

• 1 month later...

If anyone is still monitoring this thread I want to get something straight.

I am also having a problem with the scheduler getting stuck until I open Retrospect.

If I leave Retrospect open will the scheduled jobs run at the assigned times without getting held up?

What kind of system overhead will retrospect impose if it is running at idle durring the day?

Hi

Is the Retrospect taskbar icon being displayed?

Did you uninstall Retrospect, delete the Retrospect settings folder reboot and reinstall? It will be worth a shot at least. At this time we aren't aware of any bugs in Retrospect that will cause the launcher service to fail.

Please try this and let us know if the problems continue.

Leaving Retrospect open will guarantee that the jobs run on time.

Thanks

Nate

Retrospect is on a server and I can't bring it down at this time. I will however keep the Retrospect program open in order to keep the backups on schedule. We have a server maintenance coming up in about 6 weeks and I may uninstall and reinstall the software at that time.

Thanks for the help

Steve

I'm having this very same problem with Mac server version 6.0.204. This thread doesn't appear in the Mac section however the problem is spot on to what I am experiencing.

Sporadically the scheduled backups do not run. Once they stop, the scheduled backups do not resume. Running any manual backup kick starts the automated schedule which continues normally for a random number of days at which time the cycle repeats.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Archived