Schitzophrenic behaviour

JEtkins

I use Retrospect Pro 7.0 to back up my workstation to a disk backup set on my fileserver. I have Retrospect set to run under a Backup account which is common to both machines, and the backups work just fine. However, when I close Retrospect, and select the "Check Media" option in the confirmation dialog, it tells me that the disk media is unavailable. Furthermore, after each successful backup, I am left with a "Media needed before next backup" warning window which normally only appears if the media is unavailable.

Looking at the security log on the fileserver I see the Backup account connecting and disconnecting when the backups run and it is actually writing the files, but I do not see it connecting when I close Retrospect or when it closes automatically after the backup is complete.

Most peculiar, somewhat annoying, and I suspect it's a bug, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had a similar experience and/or found a fix for it.

Hi

The media not available issue is a known problem. We are working on that. At this point it appears to be cosmetic and does not interfere with backups.

I'm not sure about the security log. You are referring to when Retrospect autolaunches correct?

Thanks

Nate

Good to hear you're working on it. Yes, it apears to be cosmetic, and the backups run fine, but it is annoying / disconcerting to find a warning message on the screen every morning when there is no actual problem. If one gets into the habit of just closing the message box because "it always does that," then it's likely that a genuine error or warning may get missed.

The security log I was referring to is the one on the file server which holds the backup set. I was merely pointing out that Retrospect doesn't even appear to be connecting to the server to check the status of the set before it issues the erroneous "media needed" message.

Archived