Issues with Retrospect DR

kaikow

Recently, as described in other threads, I had to replace the hard drive on which my main OS lived.

So I had the opportunity to try out Retrospect's DR CD-ROM. Here are some issues:

1. My system has 3 hard drives. Drive 0 has C-D, Drive 1 has F-H and drive 2 has I-M.

Drive 2 is the one that died and was replaced. And, for reasons not relevant to Retrospect, C also got wiped out.

I name my drives NameX, where X is the drive letter.

When it came time for me to tell Retrospect which drives to restore and from which snapshots, I requested the following:

Restore J to NameJ.

Restore I to NameI.

Restore K to NameK.

Restore L to NameL.

Restore M to NameM.

Restore C to NameC.

THe first 5 went merrily along, however, when the DR drived to restore C to "NameC", I got an error that stated there was no drive "NameC".

Fortunately, I had been alert enough to note that the DR had included BOTH NameC and "Drive C" as separate drives, so I went back and asked the DR to restore C to "Drive C". That worked.

Why does REtrospect list both NameC and Drive C separately?

They are the same critter.

I am just lucky that I was alert enough to catch this and use the back button to correct the situation.

2. When Retrospect first booted to my restored OS, it did not load the USB drivers, so I had to reboot again to get access to my USB drives so I could restore 1 drive that could not be restored by the DR because the REtrospect temporary OS had not left enough rioom to restore the D drive.

Hi

So the "Name C" drive was listed there but greyed out or something?

Normally this happens when a disk has been formatted but is remembered by Retrospect. Either that or when partition magic was used to change partition sizes. Does this fit with anything you did during the restore or in between boots?

Thanks

nate

Quote:

Hi

So the "Name C" drive was listed there but greyed out or something?

Normally this happens when a disk has been formatted but is remembered by Retrospect. Either that or when partition magic was used to change partition sizes. Does this fit with anything you did during the restore or in between boots?

Thanks

nate

No, both "NameC" and "Drive C" were listed separately.

I noticed that, but chose "NameC" because that should have worked.

I do not use partition magic.

As far as Retrospect is concerned, the system had the same 3 hard drives, except Drive 2 had died and was replaced and Drive 0 (Drive C) had no files.

Another odd thing.

After the restore, I booted to my main OS on J to use retrospect to restore drive D and G.

In both cases, the list of Snapshots from which to choose the source included TWO "NameC" drives, both for drive C. One was dimmed, the other wasn't.

What does this mean?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

As far as Retrospect can tell the dimmed drive is not currently attached to the system. Its similar to how disonnected USB or FW drives are displayed. Removing them from the volumes list entirely would foul up scripts and things.

Basically Retrospect sees the C: drive as different from the old c: drive for some reason. The common causes are as I listed before. I'm not sure why it is happening like this in your case.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Hi

As far as Retrospect can tell the dimmed drive is not currently attached to the system. Its similar to how disonnected USB or FW drives are displayed. Removing them from the volumes list entirely would foul up scripts and things.

Basically Retrospect sees the C: drive as different from the old c: drive for some reason. The common causes are as I listed before. I'm not sure why it is happening like this in your case.

Thanks

Nate

I believe it is happening because when one fdisks a hard drive, windoze might assign a different serial number and/or signature to the drive, so Retrospect "thinks" the drive is different.

Archived