Multiple Back Up Sets

latd_it

I'm sure this is a stupid n00b-type problem, easily fixed, but I'm completely flummoxed.

I'm running Retrospect 6.5.350 on WinXP Pro. We'd been getting the error message that we were out of room on the back-up set, so I made a new one per instructions I'd found online. Everything worked until yesterday, when we started getting the same error message. A glance at my hard drive shows something kind of interesting.

Somehow, I goofed something up and now I have two of the exact same backup sets - just in different locations --

I have:

4-Backup Set A in C:\ (mod date of 12/20 10:57 A)

Backup Set A in C:\ Retrospect (11/29 11:51 A)

Backup Set A in C:\4-Backup Set A\Retrospect (12/20 10:57A)

2-Backup Set A in C:\Retrospect\Backup A (12/10 10:44A)

4-Backup Set A in C:\4-Backup Set A\Retrospect\Backup Set A (1/20 11:34A)

Any ideas which one(s) I can safely delete? This file is 27GB!!!!

Please be gentle with me and don't tell me to RTFM because I don't have the FM!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi

I would bet you have multiple catalog files not multiple backup sets.

I would delete one or both of the backup sets and do a catalog rebuild from the actual backup data. You can do this from the tools menu on the left side of the screen in Retrospect.

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

OK - so you are using "disk" backup sets. The items (.rbf) files located inside the folders you are talking about are the actual backup data. Your catalog files are stored elsewhere.

Some terminology that should help:

Catalog file = an index of your backup data. It does not actually contain any of your backed up files. It is just a list of them.

Member = a disk that you select to hold the actual backup data.

When you use a "disk" backup set the catalog file gets stored on your internal drive and the data gets stored on another disk that you have designated as a "member".

If you go to the configure->backupsets->backup set name->properties->members tab you will see where the backup set is saving the actual backup data. In your case is the data where you expected it to be?

Thanks

Nate

Archived