Full Backup Purges Windows System Restore Points

rbspies

Every time I perform a recycle backup (to a disk backup set), all of my Windows XP System Restore Restore Points are purged. How can I keep this from happening? (This doesn't happen with regular backups, only with recycle ones.)

I'm using Retrospect Professional 6.5.

Thanks.

I start System Restore. Choose "Restore my computer to an earlier time". At that point System Restore presents you with a list of Restore Points. Prior to doing a Restrospect Recycle Backup, there's a list of, say, 10 Restore Points. As soon as the Recycle Backup is complete, there's only one Restore Point left, created immediately after the backup was complete.

There's a knowledge base article, 5727, that I suspect may be relevant. The problem it describes IS NOT the one I'm experiencing; however, the mechanism sounds like it could be the same. The article describes Retrospect causing System Restore to attempt to save an extremely large file, which would automatically purge Restore Points. The solution described in 5727 is to turn off System Restore, which in my case would simply take away all System Restore functionality rather than fixing the problem.

Thanks.

Hi

The knowledgebase article you are referring to is indeed an different issue. It does not apply in this situation.

How much disk space is the system restore feature set to use on each disk? How much free space do you have available on each disk?

I wonder if the temp space used in the backup process is enough to force system restore to get rid of old restore points?

So if you backup every day you will always have only one restore point?

Thanks

nate

>> How much disk space is the system restore feature set to use on each disk? <<

2 GB on Drive C, the only drive on my system (other than the USB-connected backup drive).

>> How much free space do you have available on each disk? <<

21 GB on Drive C.

>> I wonder if the temp space used in the backup process is enough to force system restore to get rid of old restore points? <<

I don't think so. The reason the KB article looked potentially relevant is that it appears something about the backup process may be causing System Restore to attempt to save some very large files within its 2 GB allocation. THAT would indeed purge old restore points.

>> So if you backup every day you will always have only one restore point? <<

No, because my daily normal backup doesn't cause the problem. It only occurs weekly when I do a recycle backup.

Thanks.

- Bob

System restore isn't/wasn't enabled for the USB drive, because it's considered a removable device.

I tried increasing the amount of space allocated for system restore to the max (12% of my hard drive capacity, or about 4.5 GB). That seemed to do it. Interestingly, after the backup was complete, the total space taken by my system restore files is only about 751 MB. So maybe something during the backup requires extra space in the System Restore Area during the backup, but it's a temporary need?

Thanks.

- Bob

Glad to head (I guess) I'm not the only one.

Given that this is a generally-undesirable thing, it would be great if Dantz could analyze why it's happening and see if there's anything a user can do--or, if not, that Dantz can do--to keep it from happening.

Thanks.

- Bob

Archived