new driver 6.1.102

Supposedly supports all the DVD and CD drives we've been [censored] about. So far, I'll I've been able to do is burn coasters when trying to configure the device.

I've got a HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4082B according to System Profile. EMC/Ditz says the model is HLDS GWA-4082B.

Anyone else having any luck (or does anyone bother to read this thing any more)?

My G5 has the HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4082B and I've been testing this afternoon. All went well. Don't try to manually config the drive (as noted by natew) just use the standard config that shows up in devices window.

One feature I was unaware of is it appears to support multi-session cd/dvd burns on on standard "R" (not "RW") media. So an incremental update will be added to an existing CD/DVD R media. Don't know if this was available earlier (I use tape most of the time and only an occasional CD/DVD archive burn) but it is a nice feature. Looks like a solid update based on my tests, thanks Dantz.

Well, I wish I COULD configure because when I record to various media, DVD-RW, DVD-R (8x), etc, the best transfer speed I get is around 30MB/MINUTE. That's 500KB/Sec, or 3X. I might as well go back to using DDS-2 DAT tape to backup my stuff - and take days to do it.

If this is native support, what good is it?

• 2 years later...

I am a new Mac (MacBook Pro 17 - OS X - version 10.4.10) user, and just bought/installed Retrospect version 6.0.204 - I also purchased a LaCie d2 quadra 320GB external hardrive w/ FireWire 800 to back up to.

When I plug in the external hard drive it shows up on my Mac desktop as an icon, but when I launch Retrospect it can't find the external hard drive to back up to. It tells me "removable media such as zip, etc. must be mounted on the desktop" it then tells me that "currenly visable devices" are "Matshita DVD-R" (which is the disk drive built into my Mac).

I need help in getting all of this to actually work and backup my hard drive. Please HELP!!

Rob

Rob,

See Dave's response to you when you multiply-posted your request for assistance in another forum. And, by the way, Rob, you really ought to start a new thread for your request, and only post your request once. Your request has nothing to do with this thread, and it had nothing to do with the other three threads that you multiply-posted to.

Just a suggestion if you want to get better help (although Dave gave you the complete answer).

Archived