Starting Backup in Background

Chrisb01

Well, I thought this would be an easy answer. I know when a script is scheduled, it gets executed in the background, and the little icon shows in the system tray. Certainly there's got to be a way to manually start a script in the same manner. I know you can start a script by running restrospect.exe with a retrospect run document as the parameter, but perhaps there are command line parameters for restrospect.exe or other settings that can be in the runtime document... any ideas??

1) Launch Retrospect Pro 6.5

2) In the menus, click on Run | <Script Name>

3) Select "Make a Run Document"

4) Save to your Desktop (or wherever)

5) In the future, just click on that Run Document to launch and run your backup job.

HTH,

.../j

I was thinking the same thing (using the Run Doc) but this is just a way of launching the Retro script from a desktop icon. It *doesn't* run as a *background* job by default. A right-click on the .rr doc doesn't provide a "Run As..." option (as it would for an app or cpl). I don't know what will happen if Retrospect is set up *internally* to run as another (non-logged in) user *or* if there's a script/batch way to launch Retro and/or the .rr as a background/run-as job.

Thanks for the info jch, but GoAWest is correct... if you re-read my post, you'll see that what I'm asking about is triggering a script the same was the launcher does for a scheduled script. As you may have noticed, it gets run in the background... the full Retrospect app does not open... there is no user interface. That's what I want to do, but I want to tell it to start by clicking on an icon. I wish I knew how launcher does it for shceduled tasks, because I could probably do whatever it does... I was thinking that the launcher just calls retrospect.exe with specific command-line parameters... but I have no way to know. Anyway, I hope you now understand what I'm asking, and can provide a solution.

Archived