Express goes off into na-na land -

Jim_H

Ok, maybe I just have dain bramage, or my software needs a priest <G>

On a customer's unit, (EVO 510, Seagate Travan - came with box and supplied with Express, Win2K Pro) I am doing a nightly file backup to tape using the same script (it's set to run every night at 2300 hours) and all the tapes have identical names. The volume is NTFS, lots of free space, memory and drive.

The backup only runs properly on THURSDAY night (it's not a time problem, we've moved the backup time all over the clock) and give the log entry of:

+ Normal backup using Backup Set ...

- 12/30/2004 11:00:10 PM: Copying DB-Backup on Backup (F:)

12/30/2004 11:18:41 PM: Snapshot stored, 8 KB

12/30/2004 11:19:26 PM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 7 files, 4.5 GB, with 84% compression

Performance: 244.9 MB/minute

Duration: 00:18:31 (00:00:04 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 12/30/2004 11:19 PM

--------------------------- ok, so life is good!

Any other night of the week (regardless of whether we reboot, start/stop, stand on our heads, sacrifice a chicken, full moon, dark of the moon, etc.) the customer comes in and stops the program - it's sitting there, sucking it's thumb (like it has one), waiting on ... ?

+ Normal backup using Backup Set at 12/31/2004 11:00 PM

To backup set Backup Set

- 12/31/2004 11:00:10 PM: Copying DB-BACKUP on Backup (F:)

1/3/2005 4:58:30 PM: Execution stopped by operator

Remaining: 1 files, 649.3 MB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 2 17:58:20 (1 17:58:14 idle/loading/preparing)

-------- life sucks ....

Only the number of files and sizes changes, it's the same every night except Thursday.

So, any hints? What the heck is going on here???? doh.gif

Thanx,

Jim

I find it interesting, going back over the archives, that this particular question has been met with silence when previously asked. The only replies that I have seen are on the order of, "me, too."

Is there an inherent problem?

Hi

This is likely a problem with the USB controller or USB communication in general. It often doesn't work as well as it should.

Try reinstalling ASPI using the ASPIINST.exe utility in the Retrospect program folder. You should also disconnect any other USB devices and try the backup again. Is this a USB2 drive or USB1? You might want to add a dedicated USB controller just for the tape drive.

Nate

Archived