automatic shut down

H. Kuehl

I recently purchased and installed a Maxtor OneTouch II hard drive on my new HP Media Center computer which has Windows XP Professional operating system. I had read about the maxtor drive in the sept. 2004 of PC World where it said: If you start your backup at the end of the day, you can even set Retrospect to shut down your PC automatically when the process is complete. Since I am interested in that feature, I would like to know how to set Retrospect to do that.

The PC World article also said that Retrospect 6.0 is bundled with the Maxtor hard drive, but the version I received is Retrospect Express HD for Windows, version 1.0.196. How do these two versions compare?Does HD have fewer features than Retrospect 6.0?

Hi

Retrospect Express HD is a very different product. It cannot shut down your machine after backup. This is actually a good thing.

Express HD is designed to run silently in the background even while you are working on the machine. It eliminates the need to set a specific backup time and stick to a rigid schedule like that. Just set it to run during the day and then shut your machine down at night like you normally would.

Nate

Nate,

Thanks. Another question: I set Retrospect for automatic backup (for the first time) to start at 10 PM last night. When I clicked on the Retrospect system tray icon, the window said: backup in progress (with some more info on how many GB were copied out of some other number of GB). Then I went to bed, leaving the computer on. This morning, 10 hours later, that same window said the same thing, i.e., that the backup was in progress, etc. I'm sure that the backup had been completed so why doesn't it say so?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Retrospect Express HD is designed to work in the background so it runs very slowly. This too is a good thing. Just let it run, you can also shut down the machine as needed. It will pick up where it left off.

By the way: The old version of Retrospect 6.0 is included on the One Touch 2 install CD in a folder called "network".

Nate

Archived