retrospect HD 1.0 not doing anything.

gl78

I currently purchased a Maxtor OneTouch II drive for my sony pcg-k25 laptop. I installed the software and the drive seems to be working properly. However when I go to back up my drive, Retrospect HD 1.0 opens a screen that says “Welcome to Retrospect Express HD for the Maxtor OneTouch” and “Updating Status…” and then “0 Restore Points are available”. From here I can’t seem to do anything. The only button I can press is the setup button which does nothing. Is something wrong with the program? What can I do to make my backups start working? Thanks for any help. I didn’t want to have to return the drive to the store, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would say this is exactly the same problem I am having - see my post under "Retrospect Express HD 1.0 fails to install properly" from Dec 24th!

It may not be the install, it is beginning to feel more like a fundamental problem with the software or a clash/incompatability with the Maxtor One Touch II!?

Whatever, Dantz/Maxtor need to address this urgently!

Yeah..it's a little frustrating as it makes the 250+ dollar piece of hardware fundamentally useless. I might try contacting maxtor or dantz directly. I was having other problems with the drive too but it seems to be stable now. I should have bought something else. I'm still leaning towards returning it at this rate.

i have a sony pcg-k25 laptop computer. I have a lot of usb devices connected ot it currently. Basically i have a hub (with a pda, laptop, and mouse) connected to one port on the computer. The hard drive is connected to another (just a note that i tried connecting the maxtor drive through the hub but i got data read errors, so i went straight to the computer). Does the number of devices connected have something to do with it? Should i try disconnecting them for backup purposes?

Yeah..i have it running straight into the computer now. I've even unhooked the hub completely, and rebooted but I still have the same issues. Is there a problem with my brand of computer? I can't seem to make any progress whatsoever on this.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same situation as the orignal post of this thread. Running XP Home, Sp2 and latest MS fixes - machine is clean and runs fine. Standard install of Maxtor and Dantz runs fine. Running HD Express provides a screen that does nothing. Starting a backup does nothing, but utilizes 100% cpu.

Here is a copy of what Philippe Auphelle posted on this forum on 01/16/05

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have since then installed the Retrospect 6.0.xxx that's on my Maxtor CD, as you were kind enough to point out, and I like it much more:

It's much smaller and less resource greedy, it has worked so far exactly like I could expected, it is much more configurable (and allowed me to disable the "verify" phase, that's a bit ridiculous when the backup medium is a disk drive), it allows me to backup part of my laptop thru the network, and all its windows display just fine on my machine.

For all those reasons, I consider it a much more mature and better product.

Icing on the cake, it doesn't require the .NET frame, so I was able to uninstall .NET.

I understand software companies getting ready for Longhorn, but forcing users to run (bulky, sluggish) .NET applications today on current machines and OSes means nothing but troubles and bears absolutely no benefit to the user.

And to me, Retrospect Express HD 1.0 has so far spelled precisely that: troubles...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Philippe is referring to version 6.0.222 of Dantz Retrospect Express. This version does not have all the bells and whistles of Retrospect Express HD 1.0 but then it works!

yep, exact same problem here.

xp - up to date

only have windows firewall and I disabled it. made no difference.

using firewire direct into machine

I get the first restore page and hit the search button.. it does nothing.

and mine is taking up the 99 percent on the processor too.

Archived