Retrospect Express HD 1.0 fails to Install properly

manu

Have just bought Maxtor One Touch II 250GB. Product came with Retrospect Express HD 1.0 application. I use a Dell based Windows XP system running SP1.

I do run a home Wireless network based on a Belkin Router, but note that as stated above I am only running SP1. (I have read the possible firewall issue message - don't think it applies as I have turned firewall off and this has no effect - RE HD still fails to launch).

Have installed both the Maxtor drivers and the Dantz RE HD application.

Hardware works - can see drive in Windows Explorer and can drag and drop files between hard disks,

However following install of RE HD 1.0 the program fails to load/launch and aborts with error message that "Application has generated an exception that cannot be handled". Error message then gives Process id and Thread id memory addresses. These change each time I try to launch the application. Somehow, either the software is bugged (unlikely?) or the install is not fully completing?

The Maxtor One Touch application also fails to launch the Setup and Restore routines as I suspect these are calling RE HD.

Can anyone help me please and point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Nate,

Thanks for the advice - have tried this but it makes no difference. When I run the Maxtor One Touch icon on the desktop it runs a program with 3 options - Setup and Restore, Drive Management, and Security settings.

Setup and Restore - This is the problem; it just says "Scanning for attached drives - please wait", and then does nothing! It's obviously not seeing the Maxtor drive, although as I have indicated, this drive is working fine as I can copy files to it, work with them and see them in Explorer.

Drive Management and Security settings work fine.

....and I'm still getting the error message from RetroExpress.exe that says the "application has generated an exception that could not be handled" (see my first post above) when I boot the machine up!

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Nate,

Have subsequently done the following:-

De-installed RE HD 1.0; Rebooted.

Turned off maxtor drive; Re installed REHD 1.0; Deleted hidden RE Directory.

Turned Maxtor drive ON, ran the One Touch icon; Selected set-up and restore

Slight progress!

RE HD 1.0 Software then Scanned for attached drives.

Found Maxtor drive which showed serial number, Partition and Capacity

Selected next........and the software died and did nothing....!!!!!

I then checked through Task Manager to see if application was running - nothing; then checked running processes which showed Retrospect Exp.exe and retrorun.exe were active.

Re checked RE for hidden directory - all files had been re-created.

What next?

Thanks

Hi

Do you have any trouble copying files to the Maxtor drive using Windows? Try copying a large amount of files (a couple of gigs at least) and verify the files are copied correctly.

Try running the setup with the Maxtor drive disconnected from the machine. Just a small test backup saved to your internal C drive.

Nate,

I have no trouble copying large amounts of data to the Maxtor drive. I have successfully copied across over 40GB of Video files, and have been able to successfully play them back.

I have also copied the contents of an iPOD (around 2GB) and subsequently imported them in to iTunes successfully.

I don't think the issue is with the Maxtor drive, it is with the Dantz software. I have tried your most recent suggestion, but this didn't work either.

What is bizarre is that when I run the drive management program from the One Touch Icon, and "View Drive Information", this part of the program returns all the relevant drive data, i.e. Drive id, Model, Serial no, Capacity, FW Version and the One Touch Software version no!?? So at some point, the software does see the drive.

I have even been able to run the diagnostics, and these complete "successfully"!

It's the Setup and Restore part that is infuriating...!! Whatever I do, this key part of the program just refuses to work.

I appreciate your perseverance in trying to assist!

I am experiencing the exact same problem on XP Sp2. Maxtor untilities work fine, drive works, but setup/restore/backup just hangs - nothing happens. If I try to backup by starting express directly, I get 100% cpu usage for hours, with not a thing written to disk.

I've seen this problem about 5 other times in the forums - but with no apparent fix noted. At this point, I'm likely to just scrap the Dantz SW and purchase another piece of software that is supported under XP.

Consider this a 'what do I know' answer from someone who's been using the setup you describe (SP1, Maxtor one touch II) successfully for all of 3 weeks.

In the folder with the retrospect stuff, there's a file called 'operations_log' that can be read using wordpad. You could see if that file says anything useful.

Sorry, but I had a look at the log file and it indicated nothing that is not already covered in the messages above.

Like Phillipe in the thread below, I too would like some software which works! Whether it's an upgrade or a downgrade, I don't really mind.

It is clear however from the number of issues on this forum that the HD 1.0196 software is very buggy and needs a patch urgently.

Is there anybody out there..who might be listening?

Nate,

Fully up to date with Net Framework 1.1 + Service Pack - no difference

Have installed Retrospect 6.0.222 which came on the Maxtor CD. It works (with errors at the completion of a backup!) but the point is I think this proves that the RE HD version 1.0.196 is truly the problem, and it is about time Dantz recognise this and indicate what their plans are to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would let Dantz know, I am also having the same problem. I am running Windows XP SP2 and have just purchased the Maxtor external hard drive. At first when I went to install the software it went through the installation for Maxtor OneTouch just fine, but when it came to Retrospect it hanged on the installation at the point where it said something about .NET framework. Also after installing all this, my computer won't restart or shut down through the start menu or otherwise. I have to manually shut it down. (I don't know if that has anything to do with this, but maybe someone experienced the same problem) Well, anyway, I restarted the computer and uninstalled the Maxtor software and reinstalled everything. This time it installed the Retrospect Express but now I have the same problem as everyone else. The error message I get says exactly; Application has generated an exception that could not be handled. Process id=0x7a4 (1956), Thread id=0xe68 (3688).

Maybe there is a way Dantz can give us a free upgrade for all the trouble.

Thank you,

colordive

I to am having this problem (Win XP sp2, Retrospect freezes and takes up nearly 100% cpu time), glad to see it's not just me, I really think that Dantz should be looking into solving this issue. Otherwise I'm considering sending the drive back, buying a cheaper one, and getting some backup software separatley.

Same problem here. Was on the phone to maxtor couple of times today. I have Win2k SP4.

What they said to try was going to taskmanager, processes, and shut down the following:

onetouch.exe

retroexpress.ex (.ex- not .exe)

retrorun.exe

reboot and they swear that will take care of the issue.

Did not work for me but give it a try.

Also check your documentation- I believe you will find that Dantz will give one customer support incident answer for free within the first 30 days of purchase. Awfully nice of them to give one free support answer for defective software that has been out since July 2004.

Good luck

At last - fixed it!!

Here's how:-

I removed the Dantz Software and packed up the Maxtor One touch

I returned them to the supplier and obtained a complete refund!

I then bought a LaCie 250GB external disk (the F Porsche version) and also purchased Norton Ghost V9.0

This cost me about £10/$18 more than the Maxtor/Dantz package.

I installed the LaCie in about 2 minutes and the Norton software in about 3 minutes.

I then successfully backed up the contents of my entire hard disk first time, and have been able, as a test, to restore individual files and directories.

The moral of the story - don't waste any more time with this Dantz/Maxtor package.

• 8 months later...

I too have this problem. I pulled up the Dantz tech support document #8025, that describes this problem exactly, has several things to try to fix it. Non of them worked for me. So I decided to call Dantz tech support.

So, after nearly 1 hour on hold, I got a guy that spoke english fairly well (a pleasant surprise). He called himself Thomas. So I describe the problem to Thomas, and he quickly explains that this is NOT a problem with the Dantz software, its a problem with Microsoft's .NET framework.

He says the only solution he is willing to offer is that I format my computer and re-install Windows XP from scratch. doh.gif He goes on to mention that there is a version of the software that does not require .NET, and that I could install that instead. It could be found by digging several directories deep into the NETWORK folder on the Maxtor installation disk.

I take him up on it, and install Retro Backup 6.0. What he didn't mention is that this version does not work with the Maxtor drive. Needless to say, Dantz has not provided me with a satisfactory solution to a problem that is obviously widespread.

At this point, I don't know what my options are. Maxtor points the finger at Dantz, Dantz points the finger at Microsoft, and Microsoft won't talk to me about it.

My opinion, Dantz has produced a real turd in RetroSpect Express, and is not owning up to it. My only remaining option is to return the drive to CDW and get something that works. What a disappointment. frown.gif

Hi,

I did the same as you and purchased the onertouch drive for the drive - and had the same experience - the drive was brill but couldn't get the Express HD software to work consistently. I subsequently purchaed Ghost V10 and now enjoy a great drive and great software (which incidently also links into the Onetouch hardware button).

Also the only three occasions I could get the Dantz software to undertake a backup (none of which I could subsequently use) it took 5 hours as opposed to just over one for Ghost.

Quote:

I take him up on it, and install Retro Backup 6.0. What he didn't mention is that this version does not work with the Maxtor drive.

I use Retrospect Express 6.0.222 and it works fine with my Maxtor USB2 OneTouch drive. No problem with either Backup or Duplicate.

Quote:

I use Retrospect Express 6.0.222 and it works fine with my Maxtor USB2 OneTouch drive. No problem with either Backup or Duplicate.

OK - I take it back. It turns out you CAN get Retro 6 to work with the drive, but it doesn't show up in the backup devices list. Nor can you (as far as I can tell) get a "One Touch Backup", the reason I bought the "One touch" drive.

My only point is, Dantz has a real problem with this software that they are not taking responsibility for. They say its "a problem with Microsoft's .NET framework." which is patently untrue. They have many, many end users that are affected, for which they have no solution other than 'format your drive and reinstall XP'. Unacceptable.

GG

Hi

Retrospect 6.0 works perfectly with the one touch feature. We never tell people to format thier hard drive to get Retrospect to work either.

Open the maxtor one touch utilty. What is the one touch button set to do on launch? You may need to uninstall and reinstall the one touch software to associate it with Retrospect Express 6.0. Either that, or you can create a script in Retrospect, create a run document icon from the run menu at the top of the screen and then point the one touch button at the run document.

Thanks

Nate

Archived