DVD erase causes -519 error....

dkabal

It's been a long time since I saw the dreaded -519.... Now it's returned with a vengeance:

Retrospect Professional 6.5.350 Windows XP SP2, 5.4.110 drivers, firewall off, client 6.5.136 Windows XP SP2, firewall off, dual LiteOn SOHW-812S DVD burners, DVD+RW 2.4X media.

I've tried with client at login screen and logged into an account, with the same result.

Everytime one DVD burner gets to the end of one disk, and erases the next, after the erase, the backup fails with a -519 error. This makes it impossible to backup anything over 4.3 GB, needless to say, an impossible to surmount problem, as I am starting a new backup set, so I do not have the luxury of incrementals being <4.3 GB.

I have tried this with both automated and manual run script method of execution (Retrospect started and Retrospect not started).

Help, please. I don't know precisely when this problem started, but it may have occurred sometime near the SP2 update (~2-4 months?).

One hint I can give is that on the login screen on the client, I have to open the "Clients" on the server, and hit refresh on the client before I can even read the client, if I try to backup before doing this it fails to connect at all.

Thanks,

Dave

Followup, additional information and experiments:

My backup server has two ports, one 10/100 and the other 10/100/1000. The problem does not occur on the slower port. I have upgraded the faster port to the newest drivers (It's a Marvell series built-in Ethernet on the motherboard 8e001 series), and this does not remove the error.

Right now, this means to do a backup of my gigabit equipped laptop, I need to use 100 Mbit/s Ethernet. Is this a known limitation of Retrospect? Does the server only work if it has 100 Mbit/s or slower? Can I use both ports simultaneously?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi

The speed of the link is transparent to Retrospect. It has to be something in the network driver that is causing a problem.

Just out of curiosity. Run a backup using the Gb adapter but slow down the driver speed to 100Mb. Does the backup complete properly? You might also want to experiment with simplex/duplex

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I finally got a DVD backup to cross DVD boundaries (the problem only occurs if a DVD erase is required).

Here's the experiments:

1) Tried different adapter (10/100) built on motherboard (success)

2) Tried making the address of the Gigabit port dynamic instead of static (failure)

3) Tried slowing down Gigabit port to 100 Mbit (failure [complete, backup slowed to 3-4 Mbit/min]) per natew

I'm using the Marvell 88E8001 driver (newest) from their website (I've upraded this)

I really don't understand why the erase causes this problem. What does a DVD erase have to do with my network connection? The backups work fine with the Gigabit as long as the initial DVD can be used. Is there some obscure setting I can change on the adapter to make this work?

Here's the switches on the driver:

802.1p Support = Off

FlowControl = On

Hardware Checksumming = On

Interrupt Moderation = On

Log Status Messages = Status Messages

Max IRQ per Sec = 5000

Maximum Frame Size = 1514

Media Type = Auto-Sense [various other values from 10 to 100 Mbit/s simplex/duplex]

Network Address = Not Present

Number of Receive Buffers = 50

Number of Transmit Buffers = 50

Wake From Shutdown = Off

Wake Up Capabilities = Magic Packet and Pattern Match

Please help, as not being able to use the Gigabit adapter is a major problem! Experiments are somewhat time-consuming, as I have to force the backup over a DVD boundary, and can't use my working set [therefore, I need to backup at least 4.7 GBytes to get the problem to happen once].

Cheers,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

It shouldn't make any difference at all which NIC is used. The NIC and driver are transparent to Retrospect - it isn't aware of which is being used.

Somehow the connection is being dropped in such a way that Retrospect can't recover/reach the client again.

Do you normally disable the motherboard network adapter? If not try that and see if the connection stays active during an erase.

Nate

• 2 months later...

The fault is definitely on the specific Network Adapter (both are on the motherboard). Both network adapters are active before and after the problem, on only one adapter does the connection fail (according only to Retrospect) if an erase is required. I have accessed the internet on the "buggy" network adapter DURING the erase, per your instructions, with no problems.

OK, here's an interesting new experiment:

I just got a new Mac MINI, and it works FINE on both network adapters on my windows backup server, even across disk erases.

This narrows the problem down to an interaction between the NIC and the Windows Retrospect client.

Thanks,

Dave

Archived