Fails to delete files when archiving with Move

gddutton

Retrospect fails to delete the source files when the Move option is selected in Archive. None of the files I selected for backup were deleted after the back up completed.

Is there a patch that may address this problem?

I'm running Windows 2000. Below is the operations log for the Archive procedure that I ran:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+ Retrospect Express version 5.6.132

Launched at 4/30/2002 3:51 PM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 2.6.105

+ Executing Archive Files/Folders at 4/30/2002 4:14 PM

To backup set My Docs Archive Set A...

- 4/30/2002 4:14:23 PM: Copying My Documents on Hpnotebook (C:)

4/30/2002 4:20:29 PM: Snapshot stored, 772 KB

4/30/2002 4:20:30 PM: Comparing My Documents on Hpnotebook (C:)

Only 1,982 of 2,019 items were deleted for Move

(others were locked, in use, or not found).

4/30/2002 4:26:42 PM: 1 execution errors

Completed: 2019 files, 426.1 MB, with 0% compression

Performance: 69.5 MB/minute (70.4 copy, 68.8 compare)

Duration: 00:12:18 (00:00:03 idle/loading/preparing)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Greg

It turns out that the delete function did work, in fact. I figured out that only the files marked with the Read Only attribute were not deleted. This left the entire directory structure intact for each Read Only file. When I reviewed my source directory and saw all (most, which looked like all at first) of the subdirectories were still there, I assumed nothing was deleted.

When I drilled down into these directories, I found only one, two or a few files remaining. So, I reviewed the contents of the Archive session and quickly identified all files that were marked Read Only (by looking for the little icon of the pencil with a slash through it), and then went back to my source directory and deleted those subdirectories.

Consider it clumsy new-user error.

TIP FOR IMPROVEMENT: It would be nice if the operations report would list the files (and paths) that were not deleted due to being marked Read Only.

• 1 month later...

I'm using Retrospect and experienced the same behaviour. Since I was archiving about 60 Gb (yes Gb), and close to 100,000 files, you can imagine how excited I am about having to go manually deal with all of the read-only files that were not deleted by Archive with the Move option. As some of you may know, any data files that came from a CD-ROM will always have the read-only flag set on every file. Since I archive all of our software by copying it from CD and then Backing it up to tape, we have many many many files with the read-only flag set.

I would like to **STRONGLY** urge Dantz to implement an over-ride option that allows you to tell Retrospect to Move Regardless of the read-only flag.

Thanks for listening, Rich 6-8

Archived