restore difficulties: error -5000

I have a PowerMac G4, OSX 10.2.8 with Retrospect 5.1.167 backing up over a network to a file on a Windows 2000 fileserver. The backups have worked fine for many months. However, I have never had to restore until today. I have been trying to restore a file in the folder /Users/harrison/Library/Preferences. I have the destination location in Retrospect set as the same subvolume, /Users, as the backup volume. In other words, the backup and restore volume is local on the same computer that is running Retrospect and I am the only user of this computer; only the backup file is on the fileserver.

When I execute the restore, I see the fileserver volume mount, but then I get an "Execution incomplete" message and the following log entry: "Trouble writing files, error -5000 (server: no privileges)."

If instead I set the restore volume to be the remote volume on the fileserver that is used to store the backup file, the restore completes successfully, but then I have to manually copy the file from the fileserver to the Mac.

I don't understand why Retrospect does not have privileges to write to a local directory which is the same one it backs up from. I've gone through the Volumes menu and I don't see any way to supply a password for a local volume or subvolume, if that's what Retrospect needs to get write privileges.

Any help would be appreciated.

Harrison

Archived