Sony DRU-710A

This drive is not qualified. We'd like to use 16X DVD+Rs with it and Retrospect 6.5. When I try to custom configure it, it fails with this media. It will sucessfully custom configure with CD-RW and CD-R though. Does anyone know why the DVD media is failing? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi

Autoconfiguration sends a bunch of commands to the drive and then verifies that those commands were carried out properly. If the drive properly executes the commands then the data on your DVD will be acurately written and read. If the drive fails to execute the commands properly the disc is unreadable and the configuration test fails.

The key here is reliable readability. The margin for error is very small. If there are even minor failures on the disc the autoconfiguration process will fail for that media type.

I would try a different brand and speed of media. 16x may be not be quite reliable enough yet.

Thanks

Nate

Here are the media types we have tried to custom configure using Retrospect 6.5 for Windows on a machine running XP Pro SP1 with this drive:

TDK CD-R up to 48x 700 MB - Successful configuration

TDK CD-RW 4x-12x 650 MB - Successful configuration

Verbatim DVD+R up to 16x 4.7 GB - Unsuccessful configuration

Sony DVD+RW 1x-4x 4.7 GB - Unsuccessful configuration

Sony DVD+R 1x-4x 4.7 GB - Unsuccessful configuration

If anyone has any questions/comments, please feel free to contact us at charlotte_miss@hotmail.com

Hi

One other thing you could try:

Run the ASPIINST.exe utility in the Retrospect program folder. This will change the way that Retrospect looks at your drive and can possibly improve performance.

Have you considered trying DVD -R media?

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Nate, your media compatibility comment got me going with Sony. This drive is supposed to use all the media I tried. I wanted to post our findings to possibly help you/Dantz and other users.

We talked to an awesome lady at Sony [800-588-3847]. Here's what she had us do to our custom built P4 2.8 GHz 800 FSB computer with 2 HDs on the primary IDE cable and the Sony DVD drive and a Iomega Zip 100 drive on the secondary IDE cable. The Sony drive was set up as cable select with the cable from the motherboard, not the cable that came with the drive (because it wasn't long enough to reach everything). The Sony drive replaced a Plextor 16/40/10A CD drive. This drive came with Roxio's Easy Creator software.

1 - Remove the Zip drive

2 - Set up the Sony drive as the master device

3 - Use the IDE cable that came with the Sony drive

4 - Do not use an audio cable with the Sony drive (we weren't)

5 - Update Sony drive firmware (an update had become available during all my postings here)

6 - Use clean tool for Roxio's software to make sure it was completely removed (we had just done a Windows uninstall)

We did all of this with one modification. We did not receive the email with the clean tool from Sony, and we could not find it on Roxio's web site. Instead, on Roxio's web site, we followed the manual clean uninstall instructions for the Easy Creator version we had and the OS on the computer to remove all folders, files, registry entries, etc.

After all this, we asked Retrospect once again to custom configure a piece Verbatim DVD+R 16x. SUCCESS! YAHOOOOOO!!!! YIPPIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed 6.5. I too am having the problem configuring my Sony drives. A DRU-710A set as master and current firmware, and a DRU-540A se as slave and with current firmware. They will successfully configure CD-R, but not DVD-R, DVD+R, or DVD+RW. I do have Roxio version 7, but without the drag and drop. Any ideas, without getting rid of Roxio. I have been using Sonic Backup MYPC and Ghost 9 successfully with any type of media, but wanted to try Retrospect to see if things could be done better or easier.

Archived