path too long error - 1128

mslagel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

If your disks are formatted as Fat32 you can run into this kind of trouble. It is a limitation of the file system.

As a workaround try this:

Create a single folder at the root of the maxtor drive.

modify your one touch backup script to use that folder as the destination.

This will shorten the path names of the files that get copied into that folder during the backup(duplicate) operation.

Hope that makes sense

Nate

• 1 year later...

Hi

>What can I do?

Shorten the path. wink.gif

Seriously though, that is your only option. Fat32 has some limitations this way.

If you look at your duplicate script now (one touch backup script) you will see that all the data gets copied to "Retrospect backup\Backup copy of Drive C" on the Maxtor drive. These extra folders make the filenames too long.

In your duplicate script change the destination to be a folder with a short name located at the root of the maxtor drive.

Thanks

nate

• 1 year later...

hi,

I'm getting this error code also, only I'm getting it when I try to restore from the restore points on my Maxtor OneTouch II-- not during the backup process.

I backed my old laptop up after I cracked its screen and now I'm trying to restore to a new laptop (both Dell Inspirons with XP). The first thing the Maxtor tries to restore are my document files (I have a ton of them) and it gets about a tenth of the way through the doc files then gives me this error message:

Executing DirectRestore at 2/5/2007 7:01 PM

To volume Restore 1 on Local Disk (C:)...

-2/5/2007 7:01:25 PM: Restoring from RestorePoint

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew Wendeln\My Documents\documents to save 6\book notes 3\Afrique et l'Asie (Centre de hautes études administratives sur l'Afrique et l'Asie modernes).doc": can't write, error -1128 (path too long)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew Wendeln\My Documents\documents to save 6\book notes 3\Cleansing and Clarifying, Technology and Perception in Nineteenth-Century London (Chris Otter).doc": can't write, error -1128 (path too long)

[about twenty more file names...]

Trouble writing folder "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew Wendeln\My Documents\My Restored Files\Restore 1\Documents and Settings\Matthew Wendeln\My Documents\documents to save 6\colonial returns research\archival documents and notes\Ministere de la Culture\search--archival documents--Culture", error -1128 (path too long)

2/5/2007 7:01:38 PM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 16839 files, 7.2 GB

Completed: 346 files, 184.7 MB

Performance: 1107.9 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:12 (00:00:01 idle/loading/preparing)

Any advice?

Thanks

Matt

Thanks. I created a folder "max" directly in Desktop and tried to restore my files there (this seemed like the shortest path possible). This worked slightly better than the last time-- I got about 5 times as many files transferred before I got the error message again.

Is there another strategy I can try?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for my delay in getting back to you.

That worked. Thanks for the help!!

For future reference, am I understanding correctly that what counts here is the total number of characters in the file name (which means that on my new computer I should create a root file AND shorten the folder names)? or is it just the number of folders-- in which case I should just create a root file and not worry about shortening the file names?

thanks again

Using Retrospect Express 1.0.196 with WinXP.

Trying to make a Duplicate & getting dozens of the "path too long" errors.

Quote:

As a workaround try this:

Create a single folder at the root of the maxtor drive.

I can't see any opportunity to browse for a folder to store the Duplicate on. Where is asks you to "Select the disk(s) to store your duplicate files:", the box lists only two drives, Local Disk (C:) and Maxtor External (G:). How do I create this folder so it will show up on this list of locations?

Quote:

modify your one touch backup script to use that folder as the destination.

Could you please explain how this is done. Thanks.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for a reply.

Can a moderator P-L-E-A-S-E explain how to modify the One Touch backup script and how to create a single folder at the root of the Maxtor drive? (or tell me where to read directions?)

And by the way, why is it that free programs like Karen's Power Tools Replicator can handle long file names without causing a duplicate to fail, whereas Retrospect Express HD cannot?

Silkfan

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to reiterate silkfan's request.

My error message:

Duplicate using DirectDupe at 3/15/2007 3:51 PM

To volume Backup of Local Disk © on New Volume (F:)...

-3/15/2007 3:51:10 PM: Copying Local Disk (C:)

Trouble writing folder "F:\Retrospect Duplicates\Backup of Local Disk ©\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\UserProfiles\All Users\toaster\aol.alerts\optionalassets\en-US\alerts\1\awp-cdn.alerts.aol.com\wp\a1\a2742898-c9e8-4703-9e2f-fdaad8db4376\1\en_US\aol\img", error -1128 (path too long)

3/15/2007 4:10:53 PM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 20929 files, 26.3 GB

Completed: 41 files, 718.3 MB

Performance: 36.6 MB/minute

Duration: 00:19:42 (00:00:05 idle/loading/preparing)

• 3 weeks later...

The path errors are not likely Windows problems. MS-DOS based OSes (Win95, Win98, WinME) do not support full pathnames longer than 260 bytes for FAT12 and FAT16. In NTFS file systems (WinNT, Win2K, WinXP), the max path length is 32,767 Unicode characters with each path component (directory or filename) up to 255 characters long, so I don't think you're hitting the Windows limits. Try using shorter names in documents and folders.

• 4 months later...

Ok I am having the same problem restoring. The maxtor drive is fat32 and my hard drive I am trying to restore to is NTFS. I am trying to restore files for a business after PC crashed. I get to some super long file names that it backed up ok but it wont restore??? I've said restore to c:\a to keep it short. It still wont finish ..is there any other way I can make this work???

• 2 months later...

I am getting this error associated with IE7 Temp Files.

File "C:\Users\******\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\UVU9ADLV\YP2CA238R40CA4YGZHACAB0012SCAKN2JWLCA6AR5ULCA2F6QC8CAPKZTFVCAN9RRR7CAFRWV28CARGQ16ICAYCCYJ2CA62I5MVCAYTB55RCAP0KJWACAL8TTX5CA8VA9G2CAH9OL1PCA8PZ9YFCA9I1326": can't write, error -1128 (path too long)

Can anyone suggest a solution ?

dbrewer, it's a little hard to tell how to suggest a solution because you have posted here, in the Retrospect Express forum, and you have made the same post in the Retrospect Professional forum. The solution choices available are different depending on which program you are running. Perhaps if you can post full information in the correct forum, we might be able to suggest something that might help.

Russ

Marc,

It's a little hard to suggest an approach because you haven't provided much information about your configuration, etc. The answer may be as simple as an update.

Information that would be nice to have:

what version of Retrospect Express do you have?

What Retrospect Driver Update (RDU) do you have installed?

What operating system is on your computer?

How is the WD World book formatted? How is it attached to your computer?

What have you done to try to troubleshoot?

Specifically how did you specify just to select the pictures and documents files you did?

Specifically what is your "same error"? Is it just a "path too long" on IE7 temp files?

etc.

Thanks for the reply

Ver. ND 2.0 Windows 2.0.146

When I click update RE comes back with no updates

Win XP

NTFS

I started with Copy, Let me choose files by type, then checked: Pictures and Office documents.

When the copy halted, do to the long file name, there were long lists of mostly empty folders where the last folder had a single file with an extension I didn't recognize. Not a .doc of .jpg or any thing like that.

I located the long file name which was an empty folder and deleted it.

Next I ran the copy with : Let me Choose specific Files, Folders and Dives. It ran to completion. I only selected My documents but will need to add other folders. I have have cad software and other data I plan to backup and thought I could get away easy by specifying file extensions. too much stuff I don't want. Do the other versions of Reto allow this type of flexibility?

Thanks again,

Marc

• 2 months later...

I'm using Retrospect Express HD version 2.0.214 on Windows xp. It is the latest version that is available. The file system of my computer and backup WD network drive is NTFS. I can manually copy files from windows to the drive by drag and drop. However, Retrospect stills gives me the error 1128 - path too long when I use their backup or copy. I checked and the longest path I have with the complete path and it is less than 235 characters in length (including spaces).

Archived