compare errors when duplicating from client to NAS

ericmillette

Hi,

I'm running Retrospect Pro 6.5.350 on xp pro sp2

When I'm duplicating files from my other computer (running same OS with the retro backup client installed) to my Arena-Maxtronic NAS I am getting lots of errors. They are of 2 types which I am pasting below.

TPCFile:SetShortName: USetFileShortName failed, \\PEGASUS0005AB\raid\thumb\t120hiron2.tif, winerr 124, error -1001

MapError: unknown Windows error 124

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Desktop\2004811\selects\2004811-041-final.tif": different creation date/time (src: 11/15/2004 5:16:48 PM, dest: 11/15/2004 5:16:54 PM)

It seems to me that the files are duplicating fine, as am able to access them without problem. However, they are being duplicated again and again everytime retrospect runs the script. This is gigs of data and eats up a bunch of time.

Is there a way to fix these errors or at least have Retrospect not treat them as errors so it can properly set the archive bit?

Thank you,

Eric

Hi

Retrospect does not use the archive bit so that won't server as a workaround.

I used to see this with old versions of SAMBA on my linux machines. They would report the file size as being 1 or 2 seconds off so Retrospect would see the files as changed. Newer SAMBA implementations have fixed this error.

The short filename error also points to SAMBA on the NAS. Does the NAS manufacturer have any firmware or OS updates available?

Thanks

Nate

Yes Nate, I just updated with their new firmware dated this month, but same problems.

Funny, because it doesn't happen when backing up from the retrospect host computer to the NAS. It is only happening when duplicating from a computer using the Retrospect client to the NAS. I tried checking and unchecking the synchronize clocks feature, but it didn't matter.

Anything else?

Thank you,

Eric

Archived