Sharing errors

CWPost

Western Digital is unable to provide any direction in removing these error messages. Ran Check Disk, and Defrag, on C drive and Back-Up drive. No problems picked up. Turning off Norton Ant-Virus 2005 made no change to the 1st two events below. Just purchased this back-up drive. Is this some sort of software conflict with Retrospect? Should I consider returing this drive and picking another brand?

+ Duplicate using WD Automatic Backup at 11/14/2004 4:00 PM

To volume Backup of Drive C © on New Volume (F:)...

- 11/14/2004 4:00:08 PM: Copying Drive C (C:)

File "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcrst.dll": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsys.dll": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\MSMSGS.EXE-2B6052DE.pf": appears incomplete

File "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\EventCache\{C3D78984-AF0C-46D6-8F9F-AE570FA3744C}.bin": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

11/14/2004 4:03:19 PM: Comparing Backup of Drive C © on New Volume (F:)

File "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\ntuser.dat": different modify date/time (src: 6/15/2004 7:34:31 AM, dest: 11/14/2004 4:03:17 PM)

11/14/2004 4:03:28 PM: 5 execution errors

Completed: 337 files, 102.1 MB

Performance: 123.7 MB/minute (68.0 copy, 680.2 compare)

Duration: 00:03:20 (00:01:40 idle/loading/preparing)

Hi

These errors occur because the files mentioned in your log are in use and locked when Retrospect tries to back them up. Its not a bug or anything...

Chances are you will see some errors every time you backup because of this. Just check the file names and run the backup again as needed. Its a good idea to close as many programs and auto update processes as possible when you run the backup.

Thanks

Nate

Contacted Symantec for some guidance on their dll's.

What areas should I look to turn off based on the error messages I listed? If I understood someting about their significance possibly I could turn off the correct areas while backing up. Any suggestions?

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I got the same error (File "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcrst.dll": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation). I had used the task mgr to kill everything except explorer, systray and the ext HD before running retrospect, and I was shocked to get any errors at all. I had just scanned with spybot, adaware, spysweeper and AVG; I had also deleted temp files & cleaned & compacted the registry. I have NSW2005, but only have a few components installed, certainly not NAV, and there was no Norton anything running at the time.

Being simple-minded, I thought I would just copy the dll file to a safe place and then if I had to restore windows from the dantz backup, I would replace that particular file with my known good copy after the restoration. Does anyone know of anything wrong with this?

When I did copy the dll file (it was the only error), I noticed that it had been modified shortly after running retrospect, which puzzled me, so I looked in google, and found that it is involved in Norton's software activation scheme. I also noticed some forii(?) where people with problems have had Hijack This and TrendMicro's scan run into the same problem as Dantz with symlcrst.dll. My system seems to have no problems, and I am able to copy the dll file and even scan it individually with AVG, so I am more than puzzled.

Archived