Locked Tapes <-- How to unlock.

We have upgraded our systems recently and changed our backup strategy. Basically we have a whole bunch of AIT tapes with redundant data on them, we would like to reuse the tapes(bugets pah!) but I can't seem to find a method of erasing the redundant information from the tapes. Through the Configure> Devices> dialogue I just get the message 'Media is locked' (or words to that effect).

Is there a way of unlocking the media? Erasing the tape?

big magnets??

Cheers,

Simon.

Hi

You can have them bulk erased, so, yes - big magnets.

Does Retrospect show locked with new tapes too? Is the write protect tab on the tapes open or closed? Were these tapes written as WORM? (Write Once Read Many) If so even a bulk erase won't help.

Thanks

Nate

Hello,

The write protect tabs are set to write and new tapes are proving no problem, it seems that previous sessions<teminology> are locked by the software.

Would importing the backup set from the old tape allow me to change the write status of the tape? I have had a look through menus in Retrospect but dont seem to be getting any positive ideas.

Anyone know any third party software that will initialze tapes?

Has anyone else encountered this problem.

Simon.

Hi,

this is based on a G4 Silver Bullet with a SONY(branded LaCie) AIT-1 tape drive.

We have some time scheduled in with a Hardware Support team this week, so if I get any answers I'll post them here. I can't be the only one with this problem.

It's nice to be an individual - or thick!

Simon.

Archived