Laptops

kaikow

Perhaps, the answer is obvious, but I'll ask anyway.

Can Retrospect boot from a DR CD on a notebook computer?

Does the CD drive have to be built-in to the notebook, or can it be external?

Can the files be restored from a backup set on internal hard drive, external USB drive, or internal CD/DVD drive?

Can files be restired from the same CD drive in which the DR CD was loaded?

I just did a DR restore on my IBM Thinkpad R40 using the inboard CD-RW drive. It worked great.

I had my backup files on an external USB disk drive, and USB support was not there in the "simple" system, so I had to go ahead with the 2nd phase of the Retrospect install during DR. I did notice that both the C: (disk) and D: (CD) drives were available on the "simple" system.

As long as the notebook's BIOS supports booting from a USB (or other external) device then the results should be similar.

Regards,

Terry

Hi Terry is right,

As long as you can boot from the CD drive with a regular Windows CD you will be able to do the same with the DR CD.

In my experience USB and FW CD drives are not bootable in Windows but that may have changed as of late.

The DR CD installs a temporary version windows on the system drive for you. Once that is installed you don't need to boot from the CD drive anymore. As such you can use the boot CD drive to do your restore. Since Windows is installed you will also be able to access and restore from USB or firewire devices.

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

You need to have Retrospect Single or Multi server + Disaster Recovery add on to do client disaster recovery.

Theoretically you could install Retrospect on each machine, backup locally, and create the DR CD. You would still have to install the client on the restored machine in the DR environment. Overall its not worth the hassle...

Nate

Archived