Restore Speed

Tina Manley

I am using Retrospect 6.5.336 to restore two Maxtor 250GB hard drives that failed in my almost new Dell XPS desktop computer. The old hard drives were backed up using the automatic backup on a Lacie 500GB external hard drive. The file size of the Backup Set is 130 GB. So far all I've told it to do is select the source and Restore from Backup has been running for about 30 hours. Since there is no progress graphic, I have no idea how long this is going to take. The chart in the manual indicates that it might be 306 hours!! Could this be right? It will take over 10 days to restore my files? When should I start to worry? The little red lights saying "One execution running..." keep flashing and the program will not let me do anything else, saying it is occupied. I'm using a laptop to work on for now, but I really need my computer!

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Tina frown.gif

Hi

Was it fast at first and then slow down? Are you doing a replace entire disk restore? Is there a lot of disk activity happening? You might want to turn off XP system restore for all the disks and try again.

Are you restoring the entire OS or just files?

Thanks

Nate

No, it seems to be running about the same speed; however, there is progress now! It allowed me to choose a snapshot to restore and says that it will take 10 hours to restore the C drive. That's better than 306 hours! I'm replacing the OS and all files so I assume after it finishes C I'll have the opportunity to choose another drive to restore? Only 100GBs to go!

Thanks,

Tina

Archived