"This disk is in use as another member"; Zip-100; Retro 6.5

abe

I've used Retrospect successfully since 1998 on Mac and PC systems, including networks; I've backed up to tape, CD-RW, Zip, Novell servers, and FTP sites. I recommend it to my clients, and have had mostly excellent experiences. But this time... OUCH!

Retrospect 6.5 and Zip-100 disks do not seem to mix, and I can't imagine why. My client keeps getting the error "This disk is in use as another member" when Retrospect starts automatically and prompts for a disk. System is a bit old: 400 MHz Celeron, Win 98, 128 MB RAM. Zip-100 is ATAPI. This has been a problem from day one.

I've tried reformatting the disks with Zip quick-format, forgetting the backup set, trashing the catalog, and recreating it. Still, she gets the error "This disk is in use as another member", when the disk inserted is in fact the appropriate set member. I don't *think* user error is involved.

Any ideas on why this might be happening and how to resolve it? Between this and the clunky UI (practically unusable at 800x600 screen resolution, Activity monitor doesn't seem to come to the front on automatic execution, etc.), I'm starting to think about what other backup software I should be recommending, and that doesn't make me happy.

Thanks in advance,

Abe

Hi, Nate. I haven't tried a long format. I did try recycling the sets: on one, the same error popped up with disk 1 of the set; the other backup executed without a problem, reusing the media. Odd. Also, when I tried the "erase" option from Configure Devices, I was told that the disk was "in use as another member" and could not be erased! This is all very perplexing.

Something else that bothers me: Retrospect is not naming the disks. It is merely creating a Retrospect folder on the disk that contains another folder named as disks used to be named, e.g. "1-Backup Set A".

Any additional thoughts? Thanks,

Abe

Hi

I would disable any of the ZIP tools (temporarily) and then "forget" your backup sets in the configure backup sets window. That way the disk will be wide open for the long erase. After the long erase add your backup sets back into the configure backupsets window (using the browse feature) and try a recycle backup again.

The folder bit is normal - that is how the disk backup set saves its data. I would also try formatting the disks as FAT32 rather than NTFS.

Nate

• 1 month later...

Archived