Retrospect 7.7 cannot use LTO drive?

xtianp

• 2 weeks later...

I have also had this problem. I was using Retrospect 7.6 on a Windows Vista Business 64-bit system, with an HP Ultrium 4 internal drive and everything was fine. It could backup and restore Ultrium 4 tapes, and also Ultrium 3 tapes on the same drive.

Loaded up 7.7 Professional and retrospect couldn't find the drive. Confirmed through HP tools that drive was working fine. Uninstalled 7.7 and re-installed restrospect 7.6 and everything is fine again.

Please fix bug, this is not a rare tape backups system. Hard to believe no one bothered to use an Ultrium tape drive during QA/QC testing of retrospect 7.7

Hello,

Could those who are experiencing this issue give a bit more system information? Also...

What connection interface are you using? Is the 7.7.1.102 RDU installed? Are you using a different type of license than you were in 7.6 (e.g server edition with 7.6 and professional with 7.7)?

I can assure you that there has been testing done with LTO drives. We have not however, been able to produce the issues that you are seeing. I am running 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate right now with the both the latest RDU and release of Retrospect. I am using a professional license and Retrospect is both seeing, and using my HP Ultrium 4 External SCSI drive properly.

There also seems to be two different issues reported in this thread. Some are seeing there drive in an unresponsive state, and some are not seeing their drive at all. When adding your post, please let me know which issue you are experiencing.

Thanks!

-Jeff

I can assure you that there has been testing done with LTO drives. We have not however, been able to produce the issues that you are seeing.

I thought you guys reproduced the not-responding problem. In any case, it's trivial for me to reproduce it under W2K8, and I will be working off-list to get it solved.

I've given the 7.7 trial version a shot several times, and always get the same problem.

Win7 64-bit, Retrospect Pro x64, 7.7.1.102 rdu, Sony AIT-1 Turbo drive on SCSI (LSI20320IE), also a Dell Power Vault 120T DDS4 (which Retrospect won't let me use). Both tape drives show their names and "Not responding" or "Unknown response." The AIT drive shows as empty, although it has a named backup tape in it. Identical behavior under Win7 7100 and Win7 7600, although the SCSI devices are enumerated differently. Also in 7.7, the reserved USB drives (on a card reader) don't show up in Retrospect at all.

Needless to say, all this works fine on 7.6. (Except the autoloader, which wants moar money.)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I have the same problem:

Win7 64-bit, Retrospect Pro 7.7 x64, 7.7.1.102 rdu

Adaptec SCSI Card 29320A - Ultra320 SCSI

HP LTO-3 Ultrium-920 drive

tape drive show name and "Not responding" or "Unknown response"

Test with HP Tapetools show no problems

I have a dual boot system:

XP 32-bit and Win7 64-bit

Curiously same installation on XP and Retrospect 7.7 Pro x32 works normally.

Regards, Hessu