Retro 8.1 losing connection to remote client - error -530 (unknown)

Hello again

This time, my Retro 8 lost contact with the remote client. Re-starting the client made no difference. The only way I could get the app to connect with the client was to remove and re-add it. Because I had a number of Favourites and tags applied to the favourites, this was quite a long winded process.

Many of my clients (to whom I recommend Retrospect) have multiple clients, with sub volumes (sorry, favourites) who are placed into groups (sorry, tags). I'm really worried about recommending 8.1 to my client base who are keen to upgrade because of the unreliability I have found with several crucial elements of the software.

Please can we have some sort of timeline when these issues are going to be fixed? This is probably a 'how long is a piece of string?' question, but the expectation that a piece of software, once it's been released to the public to buy, should at least be reliable. Backup software that's unreliable exposes me, as a consultant, to all sorts of pressure. Having used and recommended Retrospect going all the way back to the days when it was called DiskFit, and having been pleased with it for over 20 odd years, I'm finding the unreliability of the new version a real problem.

Regards

Alan

Robin

I'd be happy to give you a debug log if I knew how. Do you have a version of the software with a debug mode you can turn on? I'd happily leave it running so it could log problems that I could send to you.

It gives me no pleasure to complain like this. I've relied on Retrospect for decades, and I'd like to have a studly Universal version of the software I could rely on, the way I have with Retrospect through the years.

Regards

Alan

I am experiencing a similar problem. Retro 8.1 on X-Serve, dual G5 10.4.11 Server, Windows XP Clients. I can run manual backup fine but after a few hours unattended the server loses connection to the clients, all 10 of them not just one. Clients are not visible if I choose add.

If I stop and start the Retrospect service the clients are all visible again and I can run a backup. The server has not performed a successful unattended backup for several nights now. The server is still running as it sends me emails to say it's failed. It's like the network part of it stops working although I can connect to the console across the network.

Would dearly love some suggestions what action to take. My clients are editing a movie and if they lose their days edits on 10 PC's I may as well leave town. Like the original poster I am a long term user and recommended Retrospect to them assuming it was like the old days when you could count on it.

I am in Australia don't know if I can get phone support during our office hours?

I've had the same thing happen to me. I really think it was a bad idea to stop selling Version 6 so soon. Version 8 is making me look bad as a consultant. I'm going to have to give BRU a more serious look when recommending a backup solution. Free support or not the product was not ready for prime time and to refuse to sell 6 was just flinging mud in mac users faces.

• 1 month later...

We have had daily -519, -530 and -541 problems all resulting on no backups. We were using a server with 4 nics, each with it's own ip address on a single subnet. The following appears to have resolved most if not all of this running EMC Retrospect on a Windows 2008 server. If your server has more than 1 nic per sub-net, try the following on the server. Network settings, Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4, advanced tab, on interface 1 usually where the default gateway is set, uncheck automatic metric and set it to 10. Set the metric on interface 2 to 20, metric to 30 on interface 3, metric to 40 on interface 4 etc. This will cause windows to route any traffic not bound to a specific interface to the interface with the lowest metric. When multiple network interfaces operate on the same sub-net using the default metric of 10, windows can route upd or tcp traffic onto any of the 4 interfaces. This I believe is how clients hear the server communicating on more than 1 interface which leads the client to spawn a second listener thread. Once that has happened, -519, -530 and -541 errors until the client is restarted. No guarantee on this but I would be interested on feedback on this issue. It has been a major problem here. This appears to have helped in resolving client connection link lost, disconnection, client not found, etc. issues. I'm not absolutely convinced this is the FIX, but try it and let me know. I haven't seen a -519, -530, -541 error in over 10 days since I implemented this on our server. If it helps everyone, then I will believe it is fixed. Feedback welcome.

We have had daily -519, -530 and -541 problems all resulting on no backups. We were using a server with 4 nics, each with it's own ip address on a single subnet. The following appears to have resolved most if not all of this [color:red]running EMC Retrospect on a Windows 2008 server[/color]. If your server has more than 1 nic per sub-net, try the following on the server. Network settings, Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4, advanced tab, on interface 1 usually where the default gateway is set, uncheck automatic metric and set it to 10. Set the metric on interface 2 to 20, metric to 30 on interface 3, metric to 40 on interface 4 etc. [color:red]This will cause windows[/color] to route any traffic not bound to a specific interface to the interface with the lowest metric. When multiple network interfaces operate on the same sub-net using the default metric of 10, windows can route upd or tcp traffic onto any of the 4 interfaces. This I believe is how clients hear the server communicating on more than 1 interface which leads the client to spawn a second listener thread. Once that has happened, -519, -530 and -541 errors until the client is restarted. No guarantee on this but I would be interested on feedback on this issue. It has been a major problem here. This appears to have helped in resolving client connection link lost, disconnection, client not found, etc. issues. I'm not absolutely convinced this is the FIX, but try it and let me know. I haven't seen a -519, -530, -541 error in over 10 days since I implemented this on our server. If it helps everyone, then I will believe it is fixed. [color:red]Feedback welcome.[/color]

Interesting suggestion, except that this is the Retrospect for [color:red]Macintosh[/color] forum. Everything, including bugs and fixes, is different.

Russ

• 2 months later...

Is phone support still available? Retrospect 8.1 is almost unusable for me many days of the week, I am beginning to regret upgrading from 6.

We're getting 530 messages on multiple clients, all of which are online and idle. The backup server is a PowerPC G5 host, 10.5.8, Retrospect 8.1 (626). We drive it from an Intel/OSX client.

The first client is a Win XP box ("gir"), the rest are OSX clients. The error message even appears before a successful backup of one of the clients:

+ Normal backup using HomeRegular at 1/4/2010 10:18 AM (Execution unit 1)

To Media Set Home [001]...

>

Can't access volume Documents and Settings on gir, error -530 ( unknown)

>

Can't access volume Library on lenore, error -530 ( unknown)

>

Can't access volume Users on lenore, error -530 ( unknown)

>

Can't access volume Users on sliver, error -530 ( unknown)

>

Can't access volume Library on sliver, error -530 ( unknown)

>

Can't access volume Installers on sliver, error -530 ( unknown)

- 1/4/2010 10:18:56 AM: Copying Installers

1/4/2010 10:18:56 AM: No files need to be copied

1/4/2010 10:27:24 AM: Snapshot stored, 2232 KB

1/4/2010 10:27:37 AM: Comparing Installers

1/4/2010 10:27:57 AM: Execution completed successfully

Duration: 00:09:01 (00:08:34 idle/loading/preparing)

In 6. there was a recurring problem where having an XP host first in the list could cause problems. Is there a way to re-order the list in 8. to rule this out?

Is phone support still available?

Yes. Here is the contact information for EMC Retrospect support:

Contact EMC Retrospect support

Your post seems to be a thread hijack because it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the original poster's problem. I suggest that you start a new thread so that things don't get confusing. When you repost, be sure to again provide your configuration information.

The backup server is a PowerPC G5 host, 10.5.8, Retrospect 8.1 (626).

That may be your problem. There seem to be a bunch of byte-swapping bugs that haven't been squashed for Retrospect 8.1 running on PPC.

I suggest that you contact EMC Retrospect support at the link above.

In 6. there was a recurring problem where having an XP host first in the list could cause problems.

Retrospect 8.1 is not Retrospect 6.x. New code base. This is the first I have heard of this particular problem.

Is there a way to re-order the list in 8. to rule this out?

No way to tell because there is no manual, and documentation is minimal. However, see this item from the EMC Retrospect 8.1 for Macintosh Read Me

Known issues with this release

Sources cannot be reordered in standard backup scripts. Sources are backed up in the order that they were added to the script. Proactive Backup scripts will automatically adjust the order of computers being backed, assigning those least recently backed up the highest priority. This functionality is planned for a future release.

I suggest that you contact EMC Retrospect support at the above link. When the support burden becomes too high due to the absence of a manual, perhaps the manual will receive a higher (or some) priority.

Russ